Quasar205
Badges: 7
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
How do I calculate the electric potential energy in a nucleus given its radius and number of nucleons
Dominininc
Badges: 9
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 month ago
v=kQ/r
Eimmanuel
Badges: 13
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Dominininc)
v=kQ/r
This is meant for electric potential NOT electric potential energy.
Callicious
Badges: 22
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
What'd be more important is the atomic number rather than nucleon number (you can't do this accurately without the atomic number.) You could always approximate Z=\frac{A}{2} since that's the locus about which many lower-mass ones lie, but yeah.

Anyway, if you have the number of protons, you can get the charge density of the nucleus
If you have the charge density, and assume spherical symmetry, you can integrate over shells, something along the lines of
E = \int{V(r)dq} = \int \frac{kQ_{\textrm{enc}}}{r}dq
where you should put together a correct shell element for dq.

All that assumes a uniform charge density ofc- it also only returns the electrostatic potential energy in its purest form and isn't considering any other potentials involved.
Last edited by Callicious; 1 month ago
Dominininc
Badges: 9
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Eimmanuel)
This is meant for electric potential NOT electric potential energy.
My eyes have failed me
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How would you describe the quality of the digital skills you're taught at school?

Excellent (16)
8.89%
Okay (54)
30%
A bit lacking (62)
34.44%
Not good at all (48)
26.67%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise