veasummers
Badges: 3
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I'm a sixth form student from York hoping to apply to the University of Brighton.
Is it a suitable place for architecture? I'm not hellbent on a reputation per say, just looking for a place that will meet the requirements for a good architecture course.
I'm a little nervous about moving down there too, is it a comfy and safe place? I'm quite the fan of peace and calm and I am worried I will be overwhelmed when I arrive there.
What's the accommodation like as well? Is it close to Brighton?
I really hope it's a nice area, I really want to take my chances and come.
normaw
Badges: 11
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 month ago
The only way you will be able to get answers to a lot of your questions on Brighton is to go and see it. A lot of unis are doing open days so go, view the department, ask questions about the course, book a tour of the accommodation and campus, and have a look around the town. My question would be - are you going to be happy to be so far away from home? The most direct route from York to Brighton is via London and that will be expensive and time consuming if you need a weekend at home.

Brighton doesn't have the best reputation for architecture and edges towards the lower end of the league tables if you put any value on them. Architecture departments with better reputations include UCL, Bath, Sheffield, Cardiff, Newcastle, Loughborough, Nottingham, Liverpool, Oxford Brookes, Manchester, Lancaster, UWE, Coventry, Northumbria, Nottingham Trent, etc.
veasummers
Badges: 3
Rep:
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
(Original post by normaw)
The only way you will be able to get answers to a lot of your questions on Brighton is to go and see it. A lot of unis are doing open days so go, view the department, ask questions about the course, book a tour of the accommodation and campus, and have a look around the town. My question would be - are you going to be happy to be so far away from home? The most direct route from York to Brighton is via London and that will be expensive and time consuming if you need a weekend at home.

Brighton doesn't have the best reputation for architecture and edges towards the lower end of the league tables if you put any value on them. Architecture departments with better reputations include UCL, Bath, Sheffield, Cardiff, Newcastle, Loughborough, Nottingham, Liverpool, Oxford Brookes, Manchester, Lancaster, UWE, Coventry, Northumbria, Nottingham Trent, etc.
I don't really want to see my family so I'll be alright in that case.
Is it bad to go to a Uni with a lower reputation for Architecture? I don't think I'd be doomed if I didn't go to the others.
SebastianMesser
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
veasummers this is quite the most mysterious (serious) post I’ve seen on TSR. It seems - from what you have said - that you primarily want to move to Brighton. Studying architecture and the university of Brighton appear to be the pretext for that (presumably this is just what you have told other people)? Without getting too pop-psychology about it, have you really questioned your motives? That’s a big commitment if you are running away from something or chasing after someone.
University of Brighton Enquiries
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
Hi veasummers

It’s great to hear that you’re interested in the Architecture course at Brighton, I appreciate you’re looking for other students’ opinions but I may be able to share some information that be of use.

This course is fully Accredited by the Architects Registration Board and validated by the Royal Institute of British Architects.

Our Architecture students created a great video about their experience with the course which you may find helpful * Warning the following video contains bright, flashing lights and/or imagery that may cause discomfort and/or seizures for those photosensitive epilepsy. Viewer discretion is advised.*

With this course you will get to choose your own route and focus on the issues that matter to you and develop your own attitudes as an architect and designer. Our courses team are practising architects, researchers and designers working in other areas of creative practice, who will inspire you to explore diverse fields in your work.
You will also get the opportunity to exhibit your work throughout the course, culminating in the Graduate Show in your final year where you’ll showcase the skills and experience you have developed.

You can also contact our student ambassador Zuzanna who is currently on the Architecture course and ask her any questions you might have, you can do this here.

In terms of living in Brighton we also have a video created by our student ambassadors where they show you a tour of Brighton:

I hope this is helpful, please get in touch if you have any questions!

Bex – Brighton uni rep :nyan:

(Original post by normaw)

normaw
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by University of Brighton Enquiries)
Hi veasummers

It’s great to hear that you’re interested in the Architecture course at Brighton, I appreciate you’re looking for other students’ opinions but I may be able to share some information that be of use.
Just to clarify, I am not a student. I am a parent of a current undergraduate architecture student who put a lot of effort into researching his university choices and the course.

The other respondent on this thread is a lecturer.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What do you find most difficult about revising?

Prioritising what to revise (12)
10.08%
Remembering what was covered in lessons (1)
0.84%
Finding the time to revise (8)
6.72%
Finding the motivation (32)
26.89%
Getting distracted (16)
13.45%
Procrastination (49)
41.18%
Having the tools you need (0)
0%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (1)
0.84%

Watched Threads