The Student Room Group

SQE 1 Exam - July 2022

Scroll to see replies

Original post by LAwgirl2020
I have found a few forums on here that have said Barbri is good and that the course is informative. And the person I said who switched to Barbri for SQE2, he knows others that were doing the same!

Yes it seems that we are in very similar situations which is actually reassuring! Ah that's a good point regarding waiting after the exams, I am not entirely sure on that point to be honest. Sounds like you have that right, seems logical! When were you thinking of starting the 40 week course? Enrolling now (for the one that started September 2021) or enrolling next year?

No I haven't begun to look yet to be honest regarding the QWE but I have come to realise that law in general is a massive gamble lol, so even if I don't find any I am still inclined to just do the course anyway. Most people do the LPC, BPTC etc. without securing training contracts or QWE or pupillages but that's the risk we unfortunately have to take I think! :smile:

I think I’m pretty set on Barbri now it just feels like the right fit especially with full time work. I had a call with them today because there are no options for 2022 enrolment, they basically said it’s too soon for the courses to be offered because they work off the exam schedule the SRA provides. I am really hoping they start advertising around the end of November if not before.

I had actually thought enrolling on the September 2021 course but I think I’d always feel like I was behind even though its self-study. It’s frustrating to have to wait until next March for the 40 week course but I think I’d just feel better starting on the actual start date (if opted for the 40 week course).

I am definitely at a stage where I am willing to take the risk haha! I think later down the line I will always have the question of 'what if?' if i don't do this now.

Couple of things you might find useful from my call with Barbri:

- Starting the SQE2 straight after the SQE1 It is possible. The SQE2 course starts slightly before the SQE1 results come out so if you don’t pass you can be put back on the SQE1 course under the Barbri guarantee and anything you’ve paid for is just deferred until you take SQE2 course.
- They encourage the 40 week course as they want you to pass (at least the person I spoke to said they do because it’s so much work)
- A lot of UK students have opted to study with them (80-90% he said)
- He could not confirm if the fee would stay the same as I noticed the website says £2,999 is an “introductory offer” - I really hope it does tbh.

I think the real question for me now is whether to do the 20 or 40 week course, decisions decisions…
Original post by aspiringsol95
I think I’m pretty set on Barbri now it just feels like the right fit especially with full time work. I had a call with them today because there are no options for 2022 enrolment, they basically said it’s too soon for the courses to be offered because they work off the exam schedule the SRA provides. I am really hoping they start advertising around the end of November if not before.

I had actually thought enrolling on the September 2021 course but I think I’d always feel like I was behind even though its self-study. It’s frustrating to have to wait until next March for the 40 week course but I think I’d just feel better starting on the actual start date (if opted for the 40 week course).

I am definitely at a stage where I am willing to take the risk haha! I think later down the line I will always have the question of 'what if?' if i don't do this now.

Couple of things you might find useful from my call with Barbri:

- Starting the SQE2 straight after the SQE1 It is possible. The SQE2 course starts slightly before the SQE1 results come out so if you don’t pass you can be put back on the SQE1 course under the Barbri guarantee and anything you’ve paid for is just deferred until you take SQE2 course.
- They encourage the 40 week course as they want you to pass (at least the person I spoke to said they do because it’s so much work)
- A lot of UK students have opted to study with them (80-90% he said)
- He could not confirm if the fee would stay the same as I noticed the website says £2,999 is an “introductory offer” - I really hope it does tbh.

I think the real question for me now is whether to do the 20 or 40 week course, decisions decisions…

Thank you for letting me know! Yes i feel the same way, I thought about enrolling on the September 2021 course but I do not feel comfortable being behind by that much and always feel like I am on the back foot! They leave enrolment open until 5th November I believe but i think that's more of a money maker rather than anything else.

So, do you know if the 40 week course is going to be available in March 2022 then? My problem is that because I have a first-class degree, they give 50% off the fees on the 20 week course only. I feel almost like I cannot refuse that offer. But I probably would cope better with the 40 week course.. But I don't want to be put at a detriment for a 50% discount then god forbid I fail and have to restart the course and pay the exam fees again (they're quite expensive) and it costs more in the long run.

Yes, that's the same for me, what course to do 20 week or 40 week?!
Thank you for letting me know! Yes i feel the same way, I thought about enrolling on the September 2021 course but I do not feel comfortable being behind by that much and always feel like I am on the back foot! They leave enrolment open until 5th November I believe but i think that's more of a money maker rather than anything else.

So, do you know if the 40 week course is going to be available in March 2022 then? My problem is that because I have a first-class degree, they give 50% off the fees on the 20 week course only. I feel almost like I cannot refuse that offer. But I probably would cope better with the 40 week course.. But I don't want to be put at a detriment for a 50% discount then god forbid I fail and have to restart the course and pay the exam fees again (they're quite expensive) and it costs more in the long run.

Yes, that's the same for me, what course to do 20 week or 40 week?!

Oh ok, I really hope enrolment for 2022 opens in the next few weeks then!

So, looking at the prospectus (also free to download) it gives you guidance of when the next cycle of courses will start. The 20 week course starts in Feb but the 40 week starts in March. I’d much rather they started earlier but it is what it is. I’ve accepted that it will take 12-14 months but even then it is quicker than other course providers.

Ah, I see what you mean with the discount. Amazing that it’s offered and that you are eligible for it (I got a 2:1 so sadly aren’t). I suppose it really comes down to affordability and time management. If you think you could dedicate the time to studying in 20 weeks and can work under pressure (time and balancing studying against work) then it’s worth a shot. The difference really is the cost of a retake with the 20 week course so I think it’s down to how confident you feel.

I do think the 40 week course, although long, would give me the peace of mind that I’ve had enough time to study. The most common thing I hear is people wishing there was more time to study or that they feel there’s not enough time to cover the material. The downside is I’ll have to wait until 2023 to do the exams when I just want them out the way. I suppose I could look at it as I’ve waited this long so I can wait a bit longer, take it slower and be confident I’ll pass first time or do the 20 week course, cram and hope for the best. I’ve crammed before and it’s worked out fine but I wasn’t working full time back then and I’ve been out of my student life for a couple of years now so it might take me time to get back into the flow of studying 🤔

(I have tried to attach the prospectus for you but it won’t let me on my phone but check it out on the website)
Reply 23
Just wanted to wish everyone good luck with their SQE course. I'm midway through the LPC so I'm intrigued as to how you will all find it. If I can assist in any way with TC applications etc, please let me know. I was quite successful in my cycle when I applied and I'd love to hand down any knowledge that I can!
Oh ok, I really hope enrolment for 2022 opens in the next few weeks then!

So, looking at the prospectus (also free to download) it gives you guidance of when the next cycle of courses will start. The 20 week course starts in Feb but the 40 week starts in March. I’d much rather they started earlier but it is what it is. I’ve accepted that it will take 12-14 months but even then it is quicker than other course providers.

Ah, I see what you mean with the discount. Amazing that it’s offered and that you are eligible for it (I got a 2:1 so sadly aren’t). I suppose it really comes down to affordability and time management. If you think you could dedicate the time to studying in 20 weeks and can work under pressure (time and balancing studying against work) then it’s worth a shot. The difference really is the cost of a retake with the 20 week course so I think it’s down to how confident you feel.

I do think the 40 week course, although long, would give me the peace of mind that I’ve had enough time to study. The most common thing I hear is people wishing there was more time to study or that they feel there’s not enough time to cover the material. The downside is I’ll have to wait until 2023 to do the exams when I just want them out the way. I suppose I could look at it as I’ve waited this long so I can wait a bit longer, take it slower and be confident I’ll pass first time or do the 20 week course, cram and hope for the best. I’ve crammed before and it’s worked out fine but I wasn’t working full time back then and I’ve been out of my student life for a couple of years now so it might take me time to get back into the flow of studying 🤔

(I have tried to attach the prospectus for you but it won’t let me on my phone but check it out on the website)

Oh thank you, I have downloaded the prospectus now, very useful!

Yes I think the decision comes down to the confidence and from what I can tell, there are a few areas that we wouldn't have studied in an undergrad law degree (such as tax law and ADR) etc. You make a good point in that we have waited this long so what is another few months in the grand scheme of things? I don't want to do the 20 week course only because I get that discount but it is a factor in play. I guess I like the fact that if I did the 20 week course and sat the July 2022 exam, at least that is out the way next year. I actually wish I knew about all this and I would have enrolled on the September course at the right time.

Let me know what you decide. A huge part of me is saying just do the 40 week course and do some pre-reading now to get prepped and another part of me is just saying cram it all and try ha ha.
Original post by DCDCo
Just wanted to wish everyone good luck with their SQE course. I'm midway through the LPC so I'm intrigued as to how you will all find it. If I can assist in any way with TC applications etc, please let me know. I was quite successful in my cycle when I applied and I'd love to hand down any knowledge that I can!

Hi there, thanks so much! It would be very useful to hand down knowledge and congratulations for your success!
Oh thank you, I have downloaded the prospectus now, very useful!

Yes I think the decision comes down to the confidence and from what I can tell, there are a few areas that we wouldn't have studied in an undergrad law degree (such as tax law and ADR) etc. You make a good point in that we have waited this long so what is another few months in the grand scheme of things? I don't want to do the 20 week course only because I get that discount but it is a factor in play. I guess I like the fact that if I did the 20 week course and sat the July 2022 exam, at least that is out the way next year. I actually wish I knew about all this and I would have enrolled on the September course at the right time.

Let me know what you decide. A huge part of me is saying just do the 40 week course and do some pre-reading now to get prepped and another part of me is just saying cram it all and try ha ha.

I 100% feel the same about enrolling in September but I guess everything happens for a reason. I’m deffo leaning more towards 40 weeks right now but that may change🤷🏽*♀️. I’ll let you know which one I choose. It’s been so helpful to have someone in a similar position to me so thank you! I am sure you’ll make a decision that’s right for you☺️
Original post by DCDCo

Thank you! I hope the LPC is going well for you. I am happy to share my feedback on the course once I’ve started as I know how helpful hearing others’ views has been for me! 😊
I 100% feel the same about enrolling in September but I guess everything happens for a reason. I’m deffo leaning more towards 40 weeks right now but that may change🤷🏽*♀️. I’ll let you know which one I choose. It’s been so helpful to have someone in a similar position to me so thank you! I am sure you’ll make a decision that’s right for you☺️

Yes, was so glad to have met someone in the same position as me! Yes please do, feel free to message me as well. Thank you as well for taking the time to discuss things. Thanks and I hope whatever decision you make you are happy with :smile:
Ok, thank you for the feedback. Did you/are you work(ing) full time alongside the course?

No luckily, I am taking a career break otherwise I’d have struggled I think.
I am sitting the SQE 1 in 2 weeks. I’ve just enrolled to do SQE 2. They will send the materials in December and will defer the course for you if you fail (which I am not going to do! 🤣) SQE 2 is only 12 weeks so I’m hoping having a bit longer will work for me.
Original post by Alenamai
I am sitting the SQE 1 in 2 weeks. I’ve just enrolled to do SQE 2. They will send the materials in December and will defer the course for you if you fail (which I am not going to do! 🤣) SQE 2 is only 12 weeks so I’m hoping having a bit longer will work for me.

I wish you all the best over the next two weeks. I am hoping enrolment for 2023 will open soon. Thank you for all your input so far, you've been super helpful! Good Luck - You can do it!!
Hi, I have been contemplating enrolling with UoL. In honesty, I don't know but I imagine its the basics of the foundation topics studied at undergrad level as that seems logical to me? Perhaps you can reach out for some guidance now that you have formally enrolled?

I attended a small webinar over the weekend and that confirmed that it was more a test to see where each student is and to identify areas where they need to work on. It was mentioned that there would be some revision/recap on black letter law as the course progresses too
I wish you all the best over the next two weeks. I am hoping enrolment for 2023 will open soon. Thank you for all your input so far, you've been super helpful! Good Luck - You can do it!!

@alenamai hey, I hope you’re ok!! I imagine you’re in relaxation mode but if you get a chance to share your thoughts/experience on the exams that’d be brill ☺️
(edited 2 years ago)
@alenamai hey, I hope you’re ok!! I imagine you’re in relaxation mode but if you get a chance to share your thoughts/experience on the exams that’d be brill ☺️

Hi,
I am indeed in relaxation mode.
General consensus was exam was harder than SRA exemplification questions. It was certainly wordier. As a teacher, I was appalled by the grammar.
Regarding the exam itself, I thought it was Ok. I think my mark will be in the 60 or 70% bracket.
It was hard going 10 hours of MC questions. Have no idea what pass mark will be but I think they are in trouble if it is over 50%. Barbri materials were good preparation - nothing came up that had not been thought of in their materials.
Feel free to message if there’s anything you want to ask.
Original post by Alenamai
Hi,
I am indeed in relaxation mode.
General consensus was exam was harder than SRA exemplification questions. It was certainly wordier. As a teacher, I was appalled by the grammar.
Regarding the exam itself, I thought it was Ok. I think my mark will be in the 60 or 70% bracket.
It was hard going 10 hours of MC questions. Have no idea what pass mark will be but I think they are in trouble if it is over 50%. Barbri materials were good preparation - nothing came up that had not been thought of in their materials.
Feel free to message if there’s anything you want to ask.

@Alenamai Thank you! I have heard a lot of people found it more difficult than anticipated. Do you feel like the materials/testing that could have been better? I heard from someone who took the exam the tests Barbri supplied weren't as detailed as they could have been which is why they found it difficult.

@LAwgirl2020 enrolment seems to have opened for 2022 but there is no 40 week course available for March next year which is odd as it does not align with the barbri timetable which is free to download. Have you made a decision on which course you'd like to enrol on yet?
I found there was little Barbri had not prepared me for but with MCQs the devil is in the detail so you do need to re-read the material several times to really know it but in my opinion it was all there.
Reply 37
I think the different providers are all of similar standard and the materials seem to be comprehensive across the board.
One thing I would say to keep in mind is that the sample questions provided on the SRA site do not really match up to the actual questions on the day - the real exam questions are more detailed, less concise and some seem to be set to catch students out.
Maybe when looking at providers check that they have plenty of mock questions for you to test your knowledge ahead of the exam.
@Alenamai Thank you! I have heard a lot of people found it more difficult than anticipated. Do you feel like the materials/testing that could have been better? I heard from someone who took the exam the tests Barbri supplied weren't as detailed as they could have been which is why they found it difficult.

@LAwgirl2020 enrolment seems to have opened for 2022 but there is no 40 week course available for March next year which is odd as it does not align with the barbri timetable which is free to download. Have you made a decision on which course you'd like to enrol on yet?

Hi there @aspiringsol95 hope you are well. When I spoke to someone at Barbri, she said that enrolment for the 2022 40 week course will open in January. I am pretty set on the 40 week course because I need to build up my qualifying work experience so I don't see the rush in taking the 20 week course now. How about you? :smile:
Original post by Negan1
I think the different providers are all of similar standard and the materials seem to be comprehensive across the board.
One thing I would say to keep in mind is that the sample questions provided on the SRA site do not really match up to the actual questions on the day - the real exam questions are more detailed, less concise and some seem to be set to catch students out.
Maybe when looking at providers check that they have plenty of mock questions for you to test your knowledge ahead of the exam.

100% agree with this. The waiting for results is driving me insane.

Quick Reply

Latest