Rosie_Brogan15
Badges: 1
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
So right now, I'm taking higher maths at we have just finished block one and our test is in 2 weeks. I have always disliked maths and have been TERRIBLE at it, but I was always scared I may need it because I don't know what I want to do when I leave school. I got a C in N5 but my teachers and I decided I should take it just in case, and possibly do it over 2 years. BUT I hate it. I have no idea what I'm doing in class and there is so much even just in block one I don't understand, never mind being off with covid for 2 weeks, which didn't help. I'm now faced with the idea of going back to get an A in N5 maths or keep going with higher. Opinions?
Alexmazy
Badges: 6
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 month ago
Have you tried studying every night or as much as possible. Think hard now. Literally studying any amount of time, making flash cards, trying past paper questions/questions from that topic (www.highermathematic.co.uk) will all be great for yourself. You've probably heard it before to study but actually do it, because it WORKS. It'll be hard at first, you'll be tempted just to sit on snapchat, social media, text your friends, read a book do literally whatever but you need to overcome this. Stick your phone in another room. Set yourself a time of something like - I'm going to study maths for 15 minutes a day and do this consistently. Don't read this and decide it's too much or say you're going to do it and don't.

Ask the teacher for extra help as well if you think they look at you like you're stupid they don't. It's their job to teach you and 99.9% of teachers don't want to see their class fail. Attend any revision periods at lunch/after school if you need extra help on top of this.

I don't want to come out as snobby or full of myself, but this is what you need to do.
NellyCormack04
Badges: 13
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Alexmazy)
Have you tried studying every night or as much as possible. Think hard now. Literally studying any amount of time, making flash cards, trying past paper questions/questions from that topic (www.highermathematic.co.uk) will all be great for yourself. You've probably heard it before to study but actually do it, because it WORKS. It'll be hard at first, you'll be tempted just to sit on snapchat, social media, text your friends, read a book do literally whatever but you need to overcome this. Stick your phone in another room. Set yourself a time of something like - I'm going to study maths for 15 minutes a day and do this consistently. Don't read this and decide it's too much or say you're going to do it and don't.

Ask the teacher for extra help as well if you think they look at you like you're stupid they don't. It's their job to teach you and 99.9% of teachers don't want to see their class fail. Attend any revision periods at lunch/after school if you need extra help on top of this.

I don't want to come out as snobby or full of myself, but this is what you need to do.
Great advice Alex!
I sat higher maths last year and you will 100% have to study it at home so you understand everything properly especially if maths isn't really your subject. Revise it as much as possible even if it is only 30 minutes a night. When I went into the academic year I really thought i'd be lucky to get a c and ended up coming out with an A. This was only possible due to my commitment to the subject and knowing that I'll need it! Maybe speak with your teacher and let them know you are looking for extra help/extra worksheets etc.. there is a lot of resources online for highers maths

If you need help with anything let me know
Best of Luck!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Would you give consent for uni's to contact your parent/trusted person in a mental health crisis?

Yes - my parent/carer (136)
33.66%
Yes - a trusted person (107)
26.49%
No (109)
26.98%
I'm not sure (52)
12.87%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise