A Level Biology Course Queries

Watch this thread
GeorgiaC0925
Badges: 12
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 7 months ago
Hi,
I’m currently almost 1 term into a level biology and I need some advice.
I’m finding the course interesting but it doesn’t come naturally to me and I’m starting to worry it isn’t right for me. I don’t know what I want to do in the future but I think I’m realising I’m more of a creative person, and I’m now scared I won’t need biology at the end of a 2 year course. I’m also worried about the exams, I feel I can really do well in my other subjects (English lit and French which I am so happy with) but it’s too late for me to change and I wouldn’t be able to change to two other subjects I would want to do instead (which if you wanted to know would be drama but that wouldn’t fit in to my timetable and art, but I think I’ve missed too much already and wouldn’t catch up in time)

So what I want to ask is: how did you find a level biology? Is it worth sticking it out and does it get better after the enzymes topic (which had the most maths so far making it unenjoyable and difficult for me as it’s my weak point. I’m just so torn at the moment so any advice would be useful
Thanks
Reality Check
Badges: 22
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 7 months ago
(Original post by GeorgiaC0925)
Hi,
I’m currently almost 1 term into a level biology and I need some advice.
I’m finding the course interesting but it doesn’t come naturally to me and I’m starting to worry it isn’t right for me. I don’t know what I want to do in the future but I think I’m realising I’m more of a creative person, and I’m now scared I won’t need biology at the end of a 2 year course. I’m also worried about the exams, I feel I can really do well in my other subjects (English lit and French which I am so happy with) but it’s too late for me to change and I wouldn’t be able to change to two other subjects I would want to do instead (which if you wanted to know would be drama but that wouldn’t fit in to my timetable and art, but I think I’ve missed too much already and wouldn’t catch up in time)

So what I want to ask is: how did you find a level biology? Is it worth sticking it out and does it get better after the enzymes topic (which had the most maths so far making it unenjoyable and difficult for me as it’s my weak point. I’m just so torn at the moment so any advice would be useful
Thanks
Biology is difficult and challenging even for motivated, science-driven students. It doesn't get easier - it gets harder, and there is more and more to learn, synthesise and remember. Maths is found throughout biology: it's a science, and maths is the language of science.

It sounds like it's a poor fit with your other A levels, and not relevant to your future plans. I'd encourage you to speak to your teachers, tutor or Head of Sixth with a view to changing as soon as possible.
GeorgiaC0925
Badges: 12
Rep:
Report Thread starter 7 months ago
Thank you
Reality Check
Badges: 22
Rep:
Report 7 months ago
(Original post by GeorgiaC0925)
Thank you
You're welcome. You've only missed half-a-term, and practically speaking it's much better to have to catch that up in a subject which you will enjoy and are naturally good at than attempt to struggle through a course which you don't particularly like and which it will become increasingly difficult to do well in. I'd be very persistent with your wish to change, and be clear about the reasons for this late change, as being in your best educational interest.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Has advance information helped during your exams?

Yes (124)
67.76%
No (38)
20.77%
I didn't use it to prepare (21)
11.48%

Watched Threads