I think I have ADHD

Watch
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I’m 19 and suddenly I feel like I cannot concentrate and have also picked up on my “usual” traits, such as excessive talking, impulsiveness, and being forgetful.
A colleague said that girls are often overlooked because their symptoms are different or become apparent later in life.

I don’t know what to do
CountBread
Badges: 14
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 month ago
Talk to your GP and don't self-diagnose. ADHD doesn't suddenly appear in adulthood.
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
(Original post by CountBread)
Talk to your GP and don't self-diagnose. ADHD doesn't suddenly appear in adulthood.
No I’m not saying it’s suddenly appeared, I’m saying I’ve finally realized why I am the way that I am.
0real1
Badges: 2
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by CountBread)
You have to have symptoms as a child too. If you have no symptoms in childhood, and it is not ADHD, it might be bipolar, depression or autism.
Obolinda
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
These websites provide very helpful info on getting an adhd diagnosis and adhd. Including having an adult adhd diagnosis "privately", funded by the nhs with a much shorter wait time.
https://adhduk.co.uk/diagnosis-pathways/
https://adhdaware.org.uk/what-is-adh...nhs-diagnosis/

There's also this channel called "how to adhd" which has loads of information about strategies for living with adhd ! helpful tips for everyone regardless of whether you have adhd
(Original post by 0real1)
You have to have symptoms as a child too. If you have no symptoms in childhood, and it is not ADHD, it might be bipolar, depression or autism.
autism is also a neurodevelopmental condition and does not suddenly appear in adulthood although OP has stated they've experienced this through their childhood anyway
Last edited by Obolinda; 1 month ago
0real1
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Obolinda)
These websites provide very helpful info on getting an adhd diagnosis and adhd. Including having an adult adhd diagnosis "privately", funded by the nhs with a much shorter wait time.

There's also this channel called "how to adhd" which has loads of information about strategies for living with adhd !

autism is also a neurodevelopmental condition and does not suddenly appear in adulthood although OP has stated they've experienced this through their childhood anyway
I heard stories of adults being diagnosed with autism so I thought it can appear later. Oh I am sorry for writing wrong information
gracieee16
Badges: 20
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
doesn’t seem like bipolar though. yeah fast talking is one key symptom but i speak fast also and don’t have bipolar, seems more like anxiety or something. i think it could also be ADHD but if the OP has only just experienced these symptoms it’s more clear that it could be something that has caused this environmentally and anxiety can be triggered later in life so it makes more sense. but impulsiveness is a sign of a personality disorder but again, they haven’t got enough symptoms, therefore, it doesn’t seem like it unless they haven’t listed it all.it could be anything this is why we can’t give them a diagnostic as we aren’t professionals. self diagnosing isn’t the way to go either as some symptoms overlap and it could be different to what they’ve diagnosed them self with.
Last edited by gracieee16; 1 month ago
username4591444
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
Do you have serious issues focusing on things? What do you do/study?
0real1
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by gracieee16)
doesn’t seem like bipolar though. yeah fast talking is one key symptom but i speak fast also and don’t have bipolar, seems more like anxiety or something. i think it could also be ADHD but if the OP has only just experienced these symptoms it’s more clear that it could be something that has caused this environmentally and anxiety can be triggered later in life so it makes more sense. but impulsiveness is a sign of a personality disorder but again, they haven’t got enough symptoms, therefore, it doesn’t seem like it unless they haven’t listed it all.it could be anything this is why we can’t give them a diagnostic as we aren’t professionals. self diagnosing isn’t the way to go either as some symptoms overlap and it could be different to what they’ve diagnosed them self with.
The main symptoms of ADHD are inattentiveness, and hyperactivity and impulsiveness. Usually the parents notice it between age 6-12. ADHD is not a minor condition, it usually affects daily life.
I have ADHD and my symptoms are I can't sit still, I will walk around endlessly, being late, talking excessively, needing subtitles for tv/movies, struggle to follow through with a movie because after 30 minutes I will get up and walk around, I cannot pay attention to someone talking to me, extreme difficulty to find concentration to study.
gracieee16
Badges: 20
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
The main symptoms of ADHD are inattentiveness, and hyperactivity and impulsiveness. Usually the parents notice it between age 6-12. ADHD is not a minor condition, it usually affects daily life.
I have ADHD and my symptoms are I can't sit still, I will walk around endlessly, being late, talking excessively, needing subtitles for tv/movies, struggle to follow through with a movie because after 30 minutes I will get up and walk around, I cannot pay attention to someone talking to me, extreme difficulty to find concentration to study.
ohhh! i really am sorry! i shouldn’t really state the things i said. does sound hard to cope with but you're strong and you have got this!
Anonymous #2
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
I’m 19 and suddenly I feel like I cannot concentrate and have also picked up on my “usual” traits, such as excessive talking, impulsiveness, and being forgetful.
A colleague said that girls are often overlooked because their symptoms are different or become apparent later in life.

I don’t know what to do
Hopefully you'll get well soon
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What do you find most difficult about revising?

Prioritising what to revise (12)
10.08%
Remembering what was covered in lessons (1)
0.84%
Finding the time to revise (8)
6.72%
Finding the motivation (32)
26.89%
Getting distracted (16)
13.45%
Procrastination (49)
41.18%
Having the tools you need (0)
0%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (1)
0.84%

Watched Threads