The Student Room Group

Twin block braces advice

I am 13(Y9) and have been out on the waiting list for twin block braces due to my 12mm overbite. After these I will need train tracks. I should be getting my tbb’s before Christmas but I am really nervous and have a low pain tolerance. Can anyone advise me on how to deal with twin block braces or any personal experiences with them.

Thank
Original post by Anonymous
I am 13(Y9) and have been out on the waiting list for twin block braces due to my 12mm overbite. After these I will need train tracks. I should be getting my tbb’s before Christmas but I am really nervous and have a low pain tolerance. Can anyone advise me on how to deal with twin block braces or any personal experiences with them.

Thank

Hi, I went through a similar process with twin blocks then train tracks afterwards. With the twin blocks it does affect your talking and gives a bit of a lisp at first but this improves as you get used to them. When cleaning your block braces don’t use toothpaste as this is abrasive and can damage them, I just used an unscented liquid soap and water.
Train tracks hurt more than the block braces but only for a couple of days when you first get them and then when you get them tightened- just take a painkiller and eat soft foods while they’re hurting. Let me know if you’ve got any more questions :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by PurpleVet
Hi, I went through a similar process with twin blocks then train tracks afterwards. With the twin blocks it does affect your talking and gives a bit of a lisp at first but this improves as you get used to them. When cleaning your block braces don’t use toothpaste as this is abrasive and can damage them, I just used an unscented liquid soap and water.
Train tracks hurt more than the block braces but only for a couple of days when you first get them and then when you get them tightened- just take a painkiller and eat soft foods while they’re hurting. Let me know if you’ve got any more questions :smile:

Thanks. Will I have to stay off school for a while why I get used to them? Will I dribble loads? On a scale of 1 to 10 how much do they hurt?

Sorry for all the questions
Original post by Anonymous
Thanks. Will I have to stay off school for a while why I get used to them? Will I dribble loads? On a scale of 1 to 10 how much do they hurt?

Sorry for all the questions

No you won’t need to take time off school, I went straight from my appointment to school. You do dribble quite a bit for the first hour or so once you have them but I just kept some kitchen roll with me. I can’t really remember how much they hurt as I had my blocks around 4 years ago, but I don’t think it hurt that much, they hurt less than the train tracks anyway. I should be getting my train tracks off at my next appointment after having them for years! Good luck and let me know if you’ve got any more questions :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by PurpleVet
No you won’t need to take time off school, I went straight from my appointment to school. You do dribble quite a bit for the first hour or so once you have them but I just kept some kitchen roll with me. I can’t really remember how much they hurt as I had my blocks around 4 years ago, but I don’t think it hurt that much, they hurt less than the train tracks anyway. I should be getting my train tracks off at my next appointment after having them for years! Good luck and let me know if you’ve got any more questions :smile:

Thanks. No not at the moment. Lol

Quick Reply

Latest