Should children be forced to take RE for gcse?

Watch
Lars360
Badges: 10
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Post answers respectfully
nikkiblonsky
Badges: 20
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 month ago
no
fluff.floof
Badges: 11
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
i had to take it and didn't really enjoy the subject, i'm not religious and i don't like essay writing- however RE is compulsory until KS5 anyway so it makes sense to do the GCSE and get something out of it. it's also not massively difficult as essay writing skills transfer from english etc and there's not masses of content- i don't see the harm in having an extra gcse tbh but i dont think it should be forced if someone's already struggling with workload as obviously english/maths etc are more important

tldr i don't have much of an opinion
Last edited by fluff.floof; 1 month ago
hungrysalamander
Badges: 19
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
It wasn't compulsory at my school and not doing RE hasn't affected my life so far so no. I'm more of a science person anyways essay subjects aren't my thing.
0ptics
Badges: 18
Report 1 month ago
No. In the grand scheme of things, the GCSE RE curriculum is too shallow to really have any meaningful impact on anybody, bar from the exams.
londonmyst
Badges: 18
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
No.
RE, PE, sports studies, music and foreign languages should all be optional to study at gcse.
nikkiblonsky
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by londonmyst)
No.
RE, PE, sports studies, music and foreign languages should all be optional to study at gcse.
Reality Check (my son) is choosing his gcse options soon I am totally not going to force him to do any subjects
rxyaltyx
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
no, i dont think it's necessary
Violet5567
Badges: 17
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
I think its important to know about other religions espescially in the uk where so much misinformation gets spread.
but i think they should change the exam style though or just make it like PE where we have to do the work without doing an exam or being graded.
i understand other peoples povs why should they learn about something they dont even believe in, but i think it helps break down social barriers and again prevents misinformation that could lead to more serious things like racism and violence
Reality Check
Badges: 22
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by nikkiblonsky)
Reality Check (my son) is choosing his gcse options soon I am totally not going to force him to do any subjects
Mum....this is like super embarrassing....
nikkiblonsky
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Reality Check)
Mum....this is like super embarrassing....
(slaps you across the head) oh hush im just trying to make small talk with the other adults, oh look isnt that your friend over their? Lets go say hello!
Admit-One
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
I did RE at high school before GCSE’s. It wasn’t an interesting or useful subject so it would also be a no from me.
the bear
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
yes it is the most important of all school subjects :yep:
nikkiblonsky
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by the bear)
yes it is the most important of all school subjects :yep:
explain your reasoning for this (12)

you may use
quotes to support your arguments
religious teachings
your use of english will be assessed as well
Reality Check
Badges: 22
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
Given that kids aren't forced to take a MFL or something like history for GCSEs, then a niche subject like Religious Studies certainly shouldn't be mandated. We don't force religion down people's throats like this in the UK, thank goodness.
uglyplushy
Badges: 8
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
no, if people want to learn about it then they should take it. otherwise i don't see the point of forcing it onto everybody who isn't willing to learn it. i don't really know how the stuff i'm learning in RE will help me in the future.
Wired_1800
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Lars360)
Post answers respectfully
Yes, i think some subjects should be mandatory. My list would be:

maths, english, 1 foreign language, history, RE, science, physical education.
Last edited by Wired_1800; 1 month ago
hungrysalamander
Badges: 19
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by londonmyst)
No.
No subject should be compulsory apart from maths, science and English lang/lit
the bear
Rep:
Report 1 month ago

you may use
religious teachings
other subjects can help you earn money for maybe 50 years... but Religion can save your soul for all Eternity, which is a lot longer :yep:
uglyplushy
Badges: 8
Rep:
Report 1 month ago

you may use
religious teachings
don't forget about reaching a justified conclusion!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What do you find most difficult about revising?

Prioritising what to revise (14)
10.29%
Remembering what was covered in lessons (3)
2.21%
Finding the time to revise (9)
6.62%
Finding the motivation (41)
30.15%
Getting distracted (17)
12.5%
Procrastination (51)
37.5%
Having the tools you need (0)
0%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (1)
0.74%

Watched Threads