Drphil123786
Badges: 5
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Hi, I really need help with some decision making. I want to spend my time efficiently and just pick a course and work towards it. Problem is I can’t decide. I’ve always wanted to do something with: medicine,dentistry,optom maybe pharmacy but my gcse grades were such a let down. I had a family member pass away just before the end of year tests and has to isolate the most out of anyone in my year. I was about to appeal but my teachers persuaded me not to. I want to know realistically what are my options could be because I don’t want to waste any applications.
English lit:7
English lang:7
Business:7
Chemistry:6
Maths:6
Geography:6
Bio:5
Physics:5
German:5
H+Sc: D2
It’s first assessment of a levels and my grades for them
Bio: B chem: A physcology :A core maths:A
Do I have any chance at a healthcare style job? Shall I resit bio? What are my chances for uni ?thanks. (I’m more leaning towards dentistry atm but just worried with the grades)
Please help me out ! Thank you
ecolier
Badges: 22
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Drphil123786)
Hi, I really need help with some decision making. I want to spend my time efficiently and just pick a course and work towards it. Problem is I can’t decide. I’ve always wanted to do something with: medicine,dentistry,optom maybe pharmacy but my gcse grades were such a let down. I had a family member pass away just before the end of year tests and has to isolate the most out of anyone in my year. I was about to appeal but my teachers persuaded me not to. I want to know realistically what are my options could be because I don’t want to waste any applications.
English lit:7
English lang:7
Business:7
Chemistry:6
Maths:6
Geography:6
Bio:5
Physics:5
German:5
H+Sc: D2
It’s first assessment of a levels and my grades for them
Bio: B chem: A physcology :A core maths:A
Do I have any chance at a healthcare style job? Shall I resit bio? What are my chances for uni ?thanks. (I’m more leaning towards dentistry atm but just worried with the grades)
Please help me out ! Thank you
Retake your GCSEs? Most universities won't mind that.
Mesopotamian.
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by ecolier)
Retake your GCSEs? Most universities won't mind that.
Most dental schools don’t accept resits, and they don’t specify whether they mean GCSEs/ A Levels.

OP, your 5 in biology GCSE and B in biology A Level puts you out of the running for any dental school, unless you’re eligible for contextual offers. As mentioned, dental schools aren’t as flexible with resits as medical schools are, but you can always contact the admissions teams to double check with them.

Edit: just realised you haven’t got achieved A Level grades. In that case, work hard to get at least AAA, but ideally higher. Check with admissions teams if they’ll accept a resit in biology.
Last edited by Mesopotamian.; 1 month ago
ecolier
Badges: 22
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Mesopotamian.)
Most dental schools don’t accept resits, and they don’t specify whether they mean GCSEs/ A Levels...
Quite a few med schools don't accept A Level resits either but much more accept GCSE resits so it may be best to confirm this with the Unis.
Drphil123786
Badges: 5
Rep:
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Ah ok! Thank you
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How would you describe the quality of the digital skills you're taught at school?

Excellent (37)
9.61%
Okay (112)
29.09%
A bit lacking (145)
37.66%
Not good at all (91)
23.64%

Watched Threads