The Student Room Group

Oxbridge Summer Schools

Hi, just wondered if anyone knows of any free summer schools at Cambridge or Oxford for students in year 12 and want to study sciences, but don't put too much of a weighting on socio-economic factors? the only criteria I meet for the Sutton Trust Cambridge one is the good GCSE grades as I am not on free school meals or anything, but I really want to go on a summer school to strengthen my application for 2023 and don't think much value is placed in the ones you have to pay for. Thanks in advance
Summer schools are just one way to demonstrate subject engagement, but you really don't need to do one and having or not having done one won't give you any kind of advantage or disadvantage in the admissions process. Really, unless a student specifically mentions it in their personal statement, we wouldn't otherwise know they had. There are plenty of other ways to show how you have engaged with the subject including reading, online talks and lectures, podcasts, documentaries, competitions... all sorts.

You might like to keep an eye out for the Cambridge Subject Masterclasses. I would also recommend looking at what different colleges have on offer (e.g. we do a few different taster day type events each year). Some might not be published yet so it's always worth checking again every now and then for updates. You can also sign up to some newsletters as they'll sign-post you to things too (like ours here!).

Also don't forget about other universities. Unis don't get petty they you did something with X instead of them! Local ones or just others around the country will do lots of very good programmes and events too. :smile:
Original post by Christ's Admissions

You might like to keep an eye out for the Cambridge Subject Masterclasses. I would also recommend looking at what different colleges have on offer (e.g. we do a few different taster day type events each year). Some might not be published yet so it's always worth checking again every now and then for updates. You can also sign up to some newsletters as they'll sign-post you to things too (like ours here!).

Also don't forget about other universities. Unis don't get petty they you did something with X instead of them! Local ones or just others around the country will do lots of very good programmes and events too.

I'll definitely keep an eye out for the masterclasses. I'm looking at events at a few other universities as well, but Oxbridge is definitely my principal aim. Thank you very much for replying and I'll take that all on board.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending