The Student Room Group

advice on swapping sixth form

I decided to go to a different sixth form than the one my secondary school had but the teaching quality is a lot worse. I chose to move because I wanted to be around new people and I’ve made some great friends, but I feel lonely a lot of the time and don’t enjoy my lessons.

At my secondary school’s sixth form I’d be around people I don’t like as much but the teaching quality would be a lot better, I’m totally torn between what I should do.

If anyone has been in a similar situation or just thinks they can help please give me some advice
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 1
Original post by renosiie
I decided to go to a different sixth form than the one my secondary school had but the teaching quality is a lot worse. I chose to move because I wanted to be around new people and I’ve made some great friends, but I feel lonely a lot of the time and don’t enjoy my lessons.

At my secondary school’s sixth form I’d be around people I don’t like as much but the teaching quality would be a lot better, I’m totally torn between what I should do.

If anyone has been in a similar situation or just thinks they can help please give me some advice

Isn't it a little late to move? Would your school sixth form take you back without expecting you to restart the year? They might be doing the same subjects, but the topics might have not been taught in the same order? I'm not recommending that you should stay or move, but just checking if moving is really an option without losing a year.
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by lalexm
Isn't it a little late to move? Would your school sixth form take you back without expecting you to restart the year? They might be doing the same subjects, but the topics might have not been taught in the same order? I'm not recommending that you should stay or move, but just checking if moving is really an option without losing a year.

I’m in year 12 so I’ve only missed 5 weeks of content, my sixth form has only just stopped people from swapping subjects so if they let me swap asap I shouldn’t have missed that much
and I’m willing to put in the work since I know my teachers would support me with it.
Reply 3
I’m in year 12 so I’ve only missed 5 weeks of content, my sixth form has only just stopped people from swapping subjects so if they let me swap asap I shouldn’t have missed that much
and I’m willing to put in the work since I know my teachers would support me with it.

Maybe move in that case, if like you say, you feel lonely and teaching it not great. It is difficult to know what the right decision is, but if you stay and don't get the grades you want, you will probably kick yourself for not moving.

Is there a place for you? Most schools will be full ..
Original post by lalexm
Maybe move in that case, if like you say, you feel lonely and teaching it not great. It is difficult to know what the right decision is, but if you stay and don't get the grades you want, you will probably kick yourself for not moving.

yeah it’s starting to seem like the better option since I could go back to that sixth form when I’m 18 but I wouldn’t be able to go to the other one (with the better teaching). We’ve emailing the sixth form I want to move to so we’re hoping they’ll get back to us :smile: thanks for the help
bump? is that how you do this lmao
Was in a similar situation as you. I moved to a completely different area so I didn't know anyone. Everyone was alright but I didn't feel like I fitted in or made close friends. Sometimes I had to teach myself the a level.
Last week, I went to the new sixth form and was glad I switched. Made some new friends and although I had to catch up on some work, it was easy to catch up.

This is a tough decision, but if you feel you want to move, move asap. Try talking with friends that go to your secondary sixth form see how they're doing. Best of luck
bump? is that how you do this lmao

by reading all the responses and me being in the same situation, did it work?? are u back at ur secondary school? i kno its too late for me rn to go back to my old skl since it’s full but i’m hoping to back in year 13 lmao
Original post by lalisaloveme
by reading all the responses and me being in the same situation, did it work?? are u back at ur secondary school? i kno its too late for me rn to go back to my old skl since it’s full but i’m hoping to back in year 13 lmao

Sorry for the late reply, I’ve not even on here in a while!

Sadly I’m still at the really sucky college sixth form as I couldn’t swap to anywhere else because they thought I’d have too much to catch up on and/or were full. I’m thinking I might have to re-start my A-Levels next year but for the time being I’m just going to try to power through.

Sorry for the bad news but I can’t imagine they’ll have you back :frown:
Reply 10
Original post by username5849704

I am exactly in the same situation and I am in y11 so I am super confused and I don’t know what to do.
Reply 11
Original post by username5849704
Sorry for the late reply, I’ve not even on here in a while!

Sadly I’m still at the really sucky college sixth form as I couldn’t swap to anywhere else because they thought I’d have too much to catch up on and/or were full. I’m thinking I might have to re-start my A-Levels next year but for the time being I’m just going to try to power through.

Sorry for the bad news but I can’t imagine they’ll have you back :frown:

oh no what a shame! i wish you all the best!! i am sadly in the similar situation but i’m in the end of y11 so I thubk from what you have said I will stick with good teaching instead.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending