Do all warehouses jobs use MHE?

Watch
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Just started a new warehouse job at Tesco (through an agency) two days ago and absolutely horrific! There's 4 of us being trained and whilst there getting through it ok, I feel shaken and like a rabbit in the headlights. To be fair I am new to it all but feel a bit stupid not even being able .to move a pallet Jack about less than a meter across the floor. Just wondering if all warehouses use MHE like pallet jacks . Need a job but need to feel comfortable.
DecoyFerret
Badges: 11
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 month ago
"Need a job but need to feel comfortable" - this does not go well with warehouses
Anonymous #1
I'm not saying I want a cosy little job with cups of tea, just don't want to feel so clueless and out of my depth.

do all warehouses use MHE, yes or no?
martin7
Badges: 20
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
I'm not saying I want a cosy little job with cups of tea, just don't want to feel so clueless and out of my depth.

do all warehouses use MHE, yes or no?
It would help if you explained what you mean by "MHE".

From the context, I assume you mean something like "Mechanical Handling Equipment".

It's like that any warehouse job will involve use of such equipment. I worked in the warehouse at three different branches of one of UK's leading supermarket chains, and at all of them I was using pallet trucks (both electrically powered and manual).

What's the issue with "not even being able .to move a pallet Jack about less than a meter across the floor" -- is it that you're physically not strong enough? Or are you getting the technique wrong? Have you raised this with the person training you?
Anonymous #1
(Original post by martin7)
It would help if you explained what you mean by "MHE".

From the context, I assume you mean something like "Mechanical Handling Equipment".

It's like that any warehouse job will involve use of such equipment. I worked in the warehouse at three different branches of one of UK's leading supermarket chains, and at all of them I was using pallet trucks (both electrically powered and manual).

What's the issue with "not even being able .to move a pallet Jack about less than a meter across the floor" -- is it that you're physically not strong enough? Or are you getting the technique wrong? Have you raised this with the person training you?
Yes I mean mechanical handling equipment.

I'm just really nervous when using it and end up either moving it too fast or too slow. My trainer recognises I'm nervous but just keeps saying things like "stop shaking like a leaf".
Anonymous #1
I've called on in sick for this afternoons shift due to a tummy ache. To be honest, don't feel that comfortable working round lots of smokers and swearers.
TheMcSame
Badges: 18
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
Just started a new warehouse job at Tesco (through an agency) two days ago and absolutely horrific! There's 4 of us being trained and whilst there getting through it ok, I feel shaken and like a rabbit in the headlights. To be fair I am new to it all but feel a bit stupid not even being able .to move a pallet Jack about less than a meter across the floor. Just wondering if all warehouses use MHE like pallet jacks . Need a job but need to feel comfortable.
Yes... Pallet jacks are literally your bread and butter.

Sounds like you're just catching the wheels on one of the slats tbh... A normal mistake for a beginner and a pretty normal mistake for everyone when they're working with Euro Pallets.
Anonymous #1
(Original post by TheMcSame)
Yes... Pallet jacks are literally your bread and butter.

Sounds like you're just catching the wheels on one of the slats tbh... A normal mistake for a beginner and a pretty normal mistake for everyone when they're working with Euro Pallets.
It's a motorised pallet jack. If it was a manual one I think I'd be fine. I get scared when I turn it on, it starts to move and feels like I will hit someone.
TheMcSame
Badges: 18
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
It's a motorised pallet jack. If it was a manual one I think I'd be fine. I get scared when I turn it on, it starts to move and feels like I will hit someone.
That's the whole point of being trained up on one.

I really can't understand the fear, at the core level, the two are no different. They're essentially the same piece of kit. As long as you do what you were taught, the only reason you'll be hitting someone is because they've done something stupid.

I mean, if anything, you'll stand a greater chance of hitting someone with a manual pallet truck because you're relying entirely on your own effort and friction to slow down/stop, whereas electric ones will regen brake or even have active brake systems.
Last edited by TheMcSame; 1 month ago
Theloniouss
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
Yes, MHE is fairly standard. Some warehouses won't use them (especially last-mile warehouses) but the majority will and you'd be expected to use them. I never really liked motorised pallet trucks if I'm being honest, but it just takes a bit of practice usually.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How would you describe the quality of the digital skills you're taught at school?

Excellent (17)
9.09%
Okay (56)
29.95%
A bit lacking (64)
34.22%
Not good at all (50)
26.74%

Watched Threads