The Student Room Group

Philosophy help!

Can someone please help me with this question:
“Explain the logical problem of evil”

If anyone has any example essays it would be really useful too!
Reply 1
The logical problem of evil is the a priori argument that evil and the God of classical theism (as defined as omnibenevolent, omnipotent and omniscient) cannot exist together. In other words, there is no possible world in which both evil and the God of classical theism exist. Their co-existence is impossible. Mackie argued for this.

Epicurus (ancient Greek philosopher, one of the first to formulate the problem of evil)

1. Is God willing but not able to prevent evil? Then he isn’t omnipotent

2. Is God is able to prevent evil but not willing? Then he isn’t omnibenevolent

3. If God is both able and willing, then why is there evil?

4. If God is neither able or willing then why call him God?

Mackie reformulated this argument into the ‘inconsistent triad’ which argued that the God of classical theism (omnipotent and omnibenevolence) cannot exist if evil exists. Either Omnipotence, omnibenevolence or evil must not exist, since all three are inconsistent. Since Evil seems to exist, this casts doubt on God being all loving or all powerful. This is is known as the Logical problem of evil which claims that it is logically impossible for both God (as defined with omnipotence & omnibenevolence) and evil to both exist. This is an a priori argument because the conclusion follows from a logical analysis of the definitions of the concepts ‘omnibenevolence’, ‘omnipotence’ and ‘evil’, without reference to experience.
i need a paragraph on describing what is meant by the phrase 'God of classical theism'.
Reply 3
Original post by cameron42069
i need a paragraph on describing what is meant by the phrase 'God of classical theism'.

It just means a God with the omni qualities e.g. omniscient, omnibenevolent and omnipotent. If you have to make a full paragraph out of it, define each and include references to the Biblical evidence for God having those qualities. I can't think why you'd need a full paragraph definition for the exam though, which exam board is this for?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending