The Student Room Group

Is my instructor ripping me off?

Hey guys

I started driving in July and have had 16 lessons. My most recent lesson was my worst one yet , I was asked to turn left and drove past instead of turning and did the same thing again when we tried to get back round. I was also speeding and harsh braking. My previous lessons have been decent.

Furthermore, I’m concerned about whether I’m being rinsed for my money. At least half my lessons have been cancelled and rescheduled. I’ve been watching mock driving tests and I don’t think I’m being taught properly. 1 driving fault is not checking your mirrors before signalling, but my instructor has not right me that . I’ve not been taught mirrors signal manoeuvre . I’ve been taught to look in mirrors when changing lanes but not when indicating to turn or even on a roundabout. I’ve also only been taught reverse parking and how to park up on the side of the road . No parallel or forward bay. And I’ve been down only 2 test routes. Also my first time on a dual carriageway was on my 14th lesson. And I haven’t used gear 5 yet. On my 14th lessons as I asked “what else is there that I still have to learn?” And his response was “we need to focus on driving around first”

Also my Lane discipline is very bad, any advice ?

My driving instructor has been teaching for 50+ years, is he ripping me off or are these kind of things normal at this stage ?

Thanks
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by Helpmygradesplz
Hey guys

I started driving in July and have had 16 lessons. My most recent lesson was my worst one yet , I was asked to turn left and drove past instead of turning and did the same thing again when we tried to get back round. I was also speeding and harsh braking. My previous lessons have been decent.

Furthermore, I’m concerned about whether I’m being rinsed for my money. At least half my lessons have been cancelled and rescheduled. I’ve been watching mock driving tests and I don’t think I’m being taught properly. 1 driving fault is not checking your mirrors before signalling, but my instructor has not right me that . I’ve not been taught mirrors signal manoeuvre . I’ve been taught to look in mirrors when changing lanes but not when indicating to turn or even on a roundabout. I’ve also only been taught reverse parking and how to park up on the side of the road . No parallel or forward bay. And I’ve been down only 2 test routes. Also my first time on a dual carriageway was on my 14th lesson. And I haven’t used gear 5 yet. On my 14th lessons as I asked “what else is there that I still have to learn?” And his response was “we need to focus on driving around first”

Also my Lane discipline is very bad, any advice ?

My driving instructor has been teaching for 50+ years, is he ripping me off or are these kind of things normal at this stage ?

Thanks

Normally MSM is taught very early on. You need to tell your instructor what you're stuggling on or what you want to learn so the lesson isnt completely wasted. Everyone also has bad days when driving so you're not the only one. Have you done your theory yet because some instructors expect you to know the highway code inside and out before even driving with them.

That being said 16 lessons is a lot and the fact you weren't taught MSM early on is quite alarming leads me to believe he's not teaching you properly . Try to see if your friends can recommend you their instructors
Original post by AbrahamP
Normally MSM is taught very early on. You need to tell your instructor what you're stuggling on or what you want to learn so the lesson isnt completely wasted. Everyone also has bad days when driving so you're not the only one. Have you done your theory yet because some instructors expect you to know the highway code inside and out before even driving with them.

That being said 16 lessons is a lot and the fact you weren't taught MSM early on is quite alarming leads me to believe he's not teaching you properly . Try to see if your friends can recommend you their instructors

Yep I passed my theory a couple weeks ago now. My sister used to take lessons with him but after 13 lessons she switched. Ive been thinking about switching but there are no available driving instructors. I don’t want to stop driving as I don’t want to lose any progress. But I’ll be looking out for new spots.
Yep I passed my theory a couple weeks ago now. My sister used to take lessons with him but after 13 lessons she switched. Ive been thinking about switching but there are no available driving instructors. I don’t want to stop driving as I don’t want to lose any progress. But I’ll be looking out for new spots.

congrats on the theory pass! does your family members have a car if so why not get learners insurance on their car so that you can drive it around as long as the owner is present in the car with you. Dont waste anymore money on this instructor if your sister even stopped.

Normally ppl do their driving tests around 30-40 lessons in so no need to feel bad that you havent covered all the basics. Try asking friends and family members for their instructor and hopefully you get a better instructor
Yeah it's difficult to find a good instructor, I had a few recently and they've all been rubbish. I think it's cos of covid and all the lockdowns. Everyone Booked in especially first timers who turned 17 before the lockdowns started and they couldn't have professional lessons and with the backlog of tests now taking place. I think the instructors are slacking cos they're fully booked now. I think I'm going to leave it for now and try again later.
Original post by AbrahamP
congrats on the theory pass! does your family members have a car if so why not get learners insurance on their car so that you can drive it around as long as the owner is present in the car with you. Dont waste anymore money on this instructor if your sister even stopped.

Normally ppl do their driving tests around 30-40 lessons in so no need to feel bad that you havent covered all the basics. Try asking friends and family members for their instructor and hopefully you get a better instructor

Thank you !! Yeah my dads got his car but he rents it and is always busy so I won’t be able to unfortunately. I think I might give it one more lesson at least in which I’ll bring up all my concerns. I want to hopefully get a test and pass at 30 hours but it ain’t looking good for me 😂 And I will do, thank you ! 😊😊
Original post by Anonymusy
Yeah it's difficult to find a good instructor, I had a few recently and they've all been rubbish. I think it's cos of covid and all the lockdowns. Everyone Booked in especially first timers who turned 17 before the lockdowns started and they couldn't have professional lessons and with the backlog of tests now taking place. I think the instructors are slacking cos they're fully booked now. I think I'm going to leave it for now and try again later.

Yeah I’m one of the ones who turned 17 a couple months after the start of lockdown so I’ve waited a year . There’s no available tests in my area at all or the next 2 closest areas. The 3rd closest only has test dates for March. And yeah that’s what I thought bc they have nothing to lose, if one student quits then they’ll get another one straight away so they don’t really care :\
Reply 7
If you are aware of MSM do you need him to teach you it?

Also it's now MSPSL now, Mirror, signal, position, speed, look.
Original post by TheDE
If you are aware of MSM do you need him to teach you it?

Also it's now MSPSL now, Mirror, signal, position, speed, look.

Well yes ? The only reason I know about it is because of watching YouTube videos. The instructor should be telling me what to do. And if I’m not looking in mirrors before signalling he should’ve brought it up and told me. I shouldn’t have had to figure it out for my self after 14 hours of driving !

And is it ???? Is that how it’ll be examined? So if I don’t do all 5 steps it could be a driving fault?
Reply 9
Well yes ? The only reason I know about it is because of watching YouTube videos. The instructor should be telling me what to do. And if I’m not looking in mirrors before signalling he should’ve brought it up and told me. I shouldn’t have had to figure it out for my self after 14 hours of driving !

And is it ???? Is that how it’ll be examined? So if I don’t do all 5 steps it could be a driving fault?

We aren't looking for people to follow a process like that but that is what we look at generally, have they checked mirrors, is their signal on if necessary, is their position left-right correct for the turn, are they coming in too fast and have they looked to see if the road is clear to enter.

MSPSL is just an easy way to remember everything

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending