Applying for a course with high grades overall but low grades in relevant subject.

Watch
aj2004
Badges: 2
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Okay so, I am interested in applying for courses in either economics or computer science.
My grades are as follows:

AS Levels:
a in Physics, Maths, Computer Science
b in Economics

A Levels Predicted:
A* in Maths, Physics
A in Computer Science
B in Economics

I am currently deciding between whether to apply for econ or comp? I am more interested in economics, although I am not scoring too well in it. Would I able to secure a place in top colleges? Can I meet my bsc economics course requirements with my other 3 subjects? I am looking at Warwick, Bath, Bristol, Durham etc.
Last edited by aj2004; 1 month ago
McGinger
Badges: 17
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 month ago
And your question is what exactly.......?
aj2004
Rep:
(Original post by McGinger)
And your question is what exactly.......?
I actually mentioned in already. For some reason TSR is not displaying it.

Okay so, I am interested in applying for courses in either economics or computer science.
My grades are as follows:

AS Levels:
a in Physics, Maths, Computer Science
b in Economics

A Levels Predicted:
A* in Maths, Physics
A in Computer Science
B in Economics

I am currently deciding between whether to apply for econ or comp? I am more interested in economics, although I am not scoring too well in it. Would I able to secure a place in top colleges? Can I meet my bsc economics course requirements with my other 3 subjects? I am looking at Warwick, Bath, Bristol, Durham etc.
Last edited by aj2004; 1 month ago
Typhoons
Badges: 7
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
Do check the entrance requirements for the unis you are interested in. Generally the top ones want Maths and Further Maths and one other for Economics and CS. Computing and Economics are not required A levels.
I would drop Economics A level and stick with your 3 subjects that you are predicted A*A*A in. That should get you into any university that does not require or recommend taking FM.
aj2004
Rep:
Won't it look bad, if I drop economics and apply for economics courses?
artful_lounger
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by aj2004)
Won't it look bad, if I drop economics and apply for economics courses?
Not really I think, plus A-level Economics is not really representative of degree level economics anyway.

Lack of FM might make you a little less competitive for Warwick.

Why are you interested in doing economics at uni though?
aj2004
Rep:
Thanks for the response.

My school only offers Further Maths AS Level when we are in A2 (Year 13). They do not offer Further Math A Level.

The reason why I didn't take FM AS Level is too keep my options open in my home country (we need 3 science based A Levels for pursuing computers, that is Phy, Maths, Comp) and I was unsure of what I want to pursue so I didn't switch one of A Levels for FM.

Do you think I stand a chance for warwick comp sci, they don't explicitly mention that Further Maths is preferred?
artful_lounger
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by aj2004)
Thanks for the response.

My school only offers Further Maths AS Level when we are in A2 (Year 13). They do not offer Further Math A Level.

The reason why I didn't take FM AS Level is too keep my options open in my home country (we need 3 science based A Levels for pursuing computers, that is Phy, Maths, Comp) and I was unsure of what I want to pursue so I didn't switch one of A Levels for FM.

Do you think I stand a chance for warwick comp sci, they don't explicitly mention that Further Maths is preferred?
If your school doesn't offer it past AS level your academic referee should note this in their reference. I'd encourage you to try and take the AS FM if possible, although it might be too late to do so in the current academic year. I think most applicants to Warwick CS will have A-level or AS FM, unless their school doesn't offer it; as your school offered the AS but you didn't take it, that may count against you. Still, it's just one of five options so no harm in applying to see if you get an offer - just recognise it's likely to be a longshot and include one or two other "backup" choices.

Also I thought you were originally applying to economics? But now CS? You should select one course and focus on that...also I would note, since both courses are often mistakenly applied to under the assumption they will somehow ensure a high paying job at the end - no degree can guarantee that, except medicine. Your odds of getting a high paying job (in the UK at least) are pretty similar whether you do CS, economics, Assyriology, social policy, or underwater basket weaving, provided you get a good classification and relevant work experience during the course. Also UK CS grad prospects have been so poor that the government commissioned two inquiries into the matter, so don't believe that a CS degree alone will get you a job in the computing/technology sector in the UK - a great deal of relevant work experience and a portfolio of projects on GitHub is essential to go into that field.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How would you describe the quality of the digital skills you're taught at school?

Excellent (35)
9.75%
Okay (106)
29.53%
A bit lacking (131)
36.49%
Not good at all (87)
24.23%

Watched Threads