Can a good personal statement make up for grades?

Watch
Spoon1313
Badges: 8
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
3 of my University choices for geography (Sheffield, Notts, and Newcastle) want AAB grades. If I have a strong enough personal statement, could any of these university give me a lower offer, such as ABB?
a.dream
Badges: 12
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 month ago
Maybe, maybe not. Entirely depends on the university - you could email them and ask. Personally, I think they won't lower the entry requirements but emailing is the way to go
leviticus.
Badges: 15
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
no, the ps is largely a low priority piece of evidence meant to supplement your application. The unis you mentioned are hardly difficult to get into, its standard practice to publish higher entry reqs and frequently accept students below this threshold to appear more prestigious.
McGinger
Badges: 17
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Spoon1313)
3 of my University choices for geography (Sheffield, Notts, and Newcastle) want AAB grades. If I have a strong enough personal statement, could any of these university give me a lower offer, such as ABB?
No, it doesnt work like that.
You will get the usual offer regardless of the wonderment of your PS.
PQ
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
If you get the standard offer and then miss your offer conditions then universities will usually refer back to your PS (and reference and any other information) in August when they’re deciding who to take with grades below their offer.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How would you describe the quality of the digital skills you're taught at school?

Excellent (33)
9.85%
Okay (97)
28.96%
A bit lacking (122)
36.42%
Not good at all (83)
24.78%

Watched Threads