A-level choices

Watch this thread
ashley3334
Badges: 1
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 7 months ago
So right now I’m not sure what I want to do in the future m, and I am struggling with which A-levels to choose. Right now I’m sure on English Lit and maths, but not sure what else. I would be interested in doing 4 A-levels. I’m stuck between either chemistry, biology (pair well with maths), economics (goes with maths also) and politics. Chemistry and biology would keep my uni pathways open, but economics really appeals to me. What should I do?
Abi0803
Badges: 10
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 7 months ago
(Original post by ashley3334)
So right now I’m not sure what I want to do in the future m, and I am struggling with which A-levels to choose. Right now I’m sure on English Lit and maths, but not sure what else. I would be interested in doing 4 A-levels. I’m stuck between either chemistry, biology (pair well with maths), economics (goes with maths also) and politics. Chemistry and biology would keep my uni pathways open, but economics really appeals to me. What should I do?
I would recommend you do 3 and something like EPQ (unless you will be applying to oxbridge most universities don’t look much at a 4th A-level and it could dip your other grades). If you did EPQ you could do it economics and choose a science, similarly you could do economics and do your EPQ on science. Hope this helps a little
AbrahamP
Badges: 10
Rep:
Report 7 months ago
(Original post by ashley3334)
Maths will help you get in anywhere. English lit is great for essay subjects. I'd say having a one more subject that is science related will always keep your doors open, i'd say its always easier for STEM students to get into a non-stem degree, than a non-STEM getting into a STEM degree - that is if they are considering a degree that's not based on the subjects they currently have

I'd say doing 4 subjects isn't necessary since you've already got a lot on your plate (Maths will take a lot of that up). And it's better to perfect 3, Most unis are perfectly fine with just 3.
Last edited by AbrahamP; 7 months ago
janijay
Badges: 13
Rep:
Report 7 months ago
English Lit, Maths, Chemistry and Biology sounds like a good combo to keep your options open. Maybe Economics instead of either chemistry or biology? Chemistry A Level is quite difficult. I would recommend doing the subject you're genuinely interested in. Do you have to do 4 A Levels or do you do 4 then drop one in your second year? Not sure if it's still works that way haha
Last edited by janijay; 7 months ago
MaRhVa
Badges: 1
Rep:
Report 7 months ago
Hi!
I was in a similar situation (I’m choosing my A-levels this year as well).

Personally the one thing that helped me was looking at the degrees I wanted to do. Do you know which subjects you would like to do for a degree (if you want to take one)? Also do you roughly know which universities you would be considering? (I advise looking at multiple)
Because I’d definitely recommend looking at university websites and seeing their requirements for the courses you’d potentially like to take. Some unis won’t even allow you to do certain courses without the right A-level subjects (which is really annoying)!
For example, as someone mentioned already, you need at least 2 STEM subjects to get into many STEM courses. So you want to make sure you take A-levels that won’t stop you from getting into courses. (Like you said chemistry and biology are both good at getting you into unis). Overall I’d definitely recommend taking a STEM subject.
Hope this helps!
McGinger
Badges: 18
Rep:
Report 7 months ago
Read this - How to Choose 6th Form Subjects - https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/a-l...-your-subjects
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Has advance information helped during your exams?

Yes (132)
66.33%
No (45)
22.61%
I didn't use it to prepare (22)
11.06%

Watched Threads