pixiebugzie
Badges: 6
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I want to go to university next year but I only get around 4k, my dad has a high paying job and my mum doesn't but they're HEAVILY in debt and keep borrowing finances from me so I am fully aware that I can't get any finances from them when I go to uni. I've saved up some money from my job and will continue to save but I know I'm going to struggle when I get to uni, I will get a part time job but is there any loans that can help students whose parents are in debt?
Kelivesy
Badges: 13
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 month ago
You can apply for a student loan to cover the years tuition and everybody is able to get this. You can then apply for a maintenance loan to help with your accommodation and living costs but this loan is means tested. Your parents will have to submit their financial details along with annual income etc. The amount you are given will depend on this. The more your parents earn the less you get. I think the minimum is around £4.000 odd (more if you go to Uni in London). This may or may not cover your living costs. If not you could also apply directly to the university for their “hardship” fund where you might qualify. Alternatively you may have to get a part time job to subsidise your maintenance loan. Some medical courses offer £5,000 (England, £10,000 in Scotland) a year which you don’t have to pay back. Do your research. All the info is available on line
Nobody2u
Badges: 20
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
SFE or the equivalent can normally finance the course, but if your parents are high earners you'll only get the minimum maintenance loan. Is there no way that you could commute to uni or live with friends or relatives to minimise general costs and rent?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How would you describe the quality of the digital skills you're taught at school?

Excellent (37)
9.61%
Okay (112)
29.09%
A bit lacking (145)
37.66%
Not good at all (91)
23.64%

Watched Threads