The Student Room Group

Should I do a film degree or media degree?

Currently I am writing my personal statement but am deciding on whether to take a film or media degree. I want to do a degree that offers both creative tasks but also writing tasks since that is my strong point. I was originally planning on doing a film degree however I worry it may get repetitive and not have enough creative tasks and I would also like to study my other passions such as video games and creating art on photoshop. What do you think is the better course for me?
Original post by JackNorris516
Currently I am writing my personal statement but am deciding on whether to take a film or media degree. I want to do a degree that offers both creative tasks but also writing tasks since that is my strong point. I was originally planning on doing a film degree however I worry it may get repetitive and not have enough creative tasks and I would also like to study my other passions such as video games and creating art on photoshop. What do you think is the better course for me?

Hi @JackNorris516 :smile:

Do you have any idea of which universities you'd like to apply to? It might be useful to have a look at a few film and media based degrees and compare the listed modules and which ones are compulsory and which you get to choose from. Degrees in which you have the option to choose from an array of modules are really great because it means you can customise your degree to suit you. I don't think it's uncommon for film based degrees to incorporate practical modules. I'm currently on the BA Film and Television Studies degree here at UEA and there is the option for some creative modules. I'm sure there will be a degree out there that suits you and accounts for you being able to do both creative tasks and theoretical pieces of work too!

I hope you find something that suits you and best of luck with your applications!

Best wishes,
Danielle
Film and Television Studies

Quick Reply

Latest