The Student Room Group

Binomial theorem

Hi,

I have tried to do this question but don't know how to start off. Can anyone help me ?

Thanks,
SafwanIMG_20211020_203223940_HDR.jpgIMG_20211101_135207015.jpg
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 1
There are similar worked examples in the maths section of the textbook
https://www.google.co.uk/books/edition/BTEC_National_Construction_Building_Serv/orlIhPoDuY8C?hl=en&gbpv=1
Reply 2
Original post by mqb2766
https://www.google.co.uk/books/edition/BTEC_National_Construction_Building_Serv/orlIhPoDuY8C?hl=en&gbpv=1

Thanks, I will check it out.
Reply 3
Original post by mqb2766

Hi, can you check what I have done so far ? I'm not too sure what to do next. You will find my working out at the top.
Reply 4
Did you look in the book?
There are two almost identical fully worked examples and your working doesn't follow them.
Reply 5
Original post by mqb2766
Did you look in the book?
There are two almost identical fully worked examples and your working doesn't follow them.

Yes I did but this is what my teacher did. IMG_20211101_145842430.jpg
Reply 6
Original post by safwans67
Yes I did but this is what my teacher did. IMG_20211101_145842430.jpg

What was the question they were working out?

Your working does not follow the examples in the book.
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 7
Original post by mqb2766
What was the question they were working out?

Your working does not follow the examples in the book.

Instead of the 2%, it was 3%. And they did subtraction.
Reply 8
Instead of the 2%, it was 3%. And they did subtraction.

Can you post the actual question?
Reply 9
Original post by mqb2766
Can you post the actual question?

It is the same question but instead of the 2% it was 3%.
It is the same question but instead of the 2% it was 3%.

What was x, what were they working out ...
Last time of asking, pls post the actual question.
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 11
Original post by mqb2766
What was x, what were they working out ...
Last time of asking, pls post the actual question.

I cant post the question because he never wrote it down. He did the working out. X is the radius. he used the formula for the area of the circle. Instead of R he used x.
I cant post the question because he never wrote it down. He did the working out. X is the radius. he used the formula for the area of the circle. Instead of R he used x.

That working does not correspond to a 3% reduction in R or x. The first line does not do that. Similarly, I could probably reverse engineer what they calculate at the end whether its absolute error or percentage or its wrong, but it would be better for you to ask your teacher. An answer without a question is meaningless.

The two examples in the book are correct and fully explained. The first deals with area, the second with volume (obviously similar but different). I suggest you follow the first one and contact your teacher about their question/working.
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 13
Original post by mqb2766
That working does not correspond to a 3% reduction in R or x. The first line does not do that. Similarly, I could probably reverse engineer what they calculate at the end whether its absolute error or percentage or its wrong, but it would be better for you to ask your teacher. An answer without a question is meaningless.

The two examples in the book are correct and fully explained. The first deals with area, the second with volume (obviously similar but different). I suggest you follow the first one and contact your teacher about their question/working.

Ok. I will do that. Thanks for your time.

Quick Reply

Latest