The Student Room Group

Do you guys think hardwork pays off or does talent beat it?

Scroll to see replies

Their is an expression in sports:
hard work beats talent when talent doesn't work hard.
(edited 2 years ago)
I think talent gives you a direction of sorts, hardwork does help. Personally I think its down to location and who you know and also nepotism unfortunately
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by mnot
Their is an expression in sports:
hard work beats talent when talent doesn't work hard.

I'm very fond of that aphorism - it's spot on.
Hard work pays off in the sense that you'd be worse off if you didn't work hard. It doesn't have to mean you will ''beat'' someone who's talented and work less than you do and that shouldn't really concern you anyway.
hard work
Reply 25
Hard to say. I think hard work compensates for much. Then again I work hard at guitar, but my obviously talented mates are to my ear still better players
Hardwork tends to have a limit depending on the individual. For an example one of my friends worked so hard for A level Maths mock for September and still managed to get a C compared to some other who are naturally talented and smart who got an A and some of them who Cheated. If you have talent your at a natural advantage as there is a gap where hard work cannot over take if you get what I mean.
Original post by summerbirdreads
Idk about any songs. The only reason I heard about her is that disaster of a movie

At least you haven't had the displeasure of hearing her song 😂
There will always be enough people out there who are both talented and work hard that it's really not worth worrying about whether the talented but lazy person will be ahead of or behind the untalented but hardworking person. You'll both be behind the talented person who works hard, and they will be the ones who get selected for whatever it is.
Original post by GST1_m4n543
^^^

Great question. Even with a lot of talent if you don't put in the graft you'll fall short.
Reply 30
Hard work definitely pays off and you can develop your talents. The naturally extremely talented are in the minority and can do everything

Quick Reply

Latest