Reapplying with a different personal statement

Watch
Jackreah219
Badges: 1
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Hey there, so I applied for a course at Oxford last Friday in time for the October 15th deadline. However, I have for the longest time thought about whether it was the right course. I'm now having serious doubts, and really want to change to another course at a different uni (LSE) later this cycle. Is there any way I can withdraw or cancel my application to oxford, and apply to LSE with a different personal statement. Bear in mind I am still within 7 days of submitting my application. Thanks
Admit-One
Badges: 21
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Jackreah219)
Hey there, so I applied for a course at Oxford last Friday in time for the October 15th deadline. However, I have for the longest time thought about whether it was the right course. I'm now having serious doubts, and really want to change to another course at a different uni (LSE) later this cycle. Is there any way I can withdraw or cancel my application to oxford, and apply to LSE with a different personal statement. Bear in mind I am still within 7 days of submitting my application. Thanks
You can exchange a choice within 14 days of receiving your welcome email, but you can’t swap out your current personal statement. Your best bet would be to call LSE tomorrow and see if they would accept a personal statement submitted directly to them.
Last edited by Admit-One; 1 month ago
PQ
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
In theory yes. You can ring ucas and completely cancel your application within 7 days of applying and then start again from scratch and submit again this cycle for different universities and with a new PS and reference.

It’s a bit of an extreme option. Make sure that you explain when you ring ucas that you want to cancel and reapply this year.
Admit-One
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by PQ)
In theory yes. You can ring ucas and completely cancel your application within 7 days of applying and then start again from scratch and submit again this cycle for different universities and with a new PS and reference.

It’s a bit of an extreme option. Make sure that you explain when you ring ucas that you want to cancel and reapply this year.
I've not heard of this before, (and it is a bit of a nuclear option, I agree), I presumed that UCAS would still match it to the old app that may cause issues. Interesting!
PQ
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Admit-One)
I've not heard of this before, (and it is a bit of a nuclear option, I agree), I presumed that UCAS would still match it to the old app that may cause issues. Interesting!
It's a consumer law thing - they'll cancel and refund the application fee and allow another application in cycle. But it's not a great option
There's a form online to do it https://www.ucas.com/corporate/appli...n-request-form
(and it's explained in the admissions guide https://www.ucas.com/providers/under...ellationrights "Applicants who cancel within this timeframe can resubmit a new application with up to five choices in the same cycle." )
Admit-One
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by PQ)
It's a consumer law thing - they'll cancel and refund the application fee and allow another application in cycle. But it's not a great option
There's a form online to do it https://www.ucas.com/corporate/appli...n-request-form
(and it's explained in the admissions guide https://www.ucas.com/providers/under...ellationrights "Applicants who cancel within this timeframe can resubmit a new application with up to five choices in the same cycle." )
Thanks for this. I knew about the right to cancel, just not that they'd let you submit a wholly new app afterwards. The more you know!
Jackreah219
Badges: 1
Rep:
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
(Original post by PQ)
Sorry I'm unable to access the second link. Just confirm though, do I have to do it within 7 days? Or is it 14 days?
PQ
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Jackreah219)
Sorry I'm unable to access the second link. Just confirm though, do I have to do it within 7 days? Or is it 14 days?
I thought it was 7 but on checking the small print it’s 14
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What do you find most difficult about revising?

Prioritising what to revise (14)
9.52%
Remembering what was covered in lessons (3)
2.04%
Finding the time to revise (9)
6.12%
Finding the motivation (43)
29.25%
Getting distracted (22)
14.97%
Procrastination (55)
37.41%
Having the tools you need (0)
0%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (1)
0.68%

Watched Threads