The Student Room Group

Passage-based Question

During the trial of a 10 year old accused of frequent violent crimes, privacy laws meant that he could only be referred to in the media as ‘Child B’. One newspaper, however, continually referred to the boy as the ‘Devil Child’. Despite many media sources reporting the difficult and violent upbringing the boy himself had had, calling for understanding and leniency, many letters sent to newspapers and comments posted on internet forums showed strong public anger and calls for the harshest possible sentence. Almost all of those calling for tough measures used the term ‘Devil Child’. This shows that the name alone had influenced public opinion and prevented members of the public having sympathy for the child.
Which one of the following statements, if true, would strengthen the argument above?

1. The newspaper that used the term ‘Devil Child’ reported the case and the child’s upbringing accurately.
2. The editors of the newspaper that used the term ‘Devil Child’ also called for the harshest possible punishment.
3. The newspaper that used the term ‘Devil Child’ had also continually referred to his victims as ‘innocent’ and ‘defenceless’.

A. 1 only
B. 2 only
C. 3 only
D. 1 and 2
E. 1 and 3
F. 2 and 3

Maybe I'm missing something, but I cannot see how A could be the answer. How would reporting the case accurately strengthen the argument? The argument has to do with how the name "Devil Child" influenced the public. What does it matter if the case is reported accurately or not?
I also don't see how #2 and #3 are excluded. #2 suggests the editors who used "Devil Child" were also influenced by the name, and took a harsh stance. #3 validates the argument that names and choice of words affects public opinion.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending