Christianity question

Watch
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I'm exploring moving church and I was wondering, are there any denominations that think that Jesus is the son of God but not God? Or some that think he's the messiah but not actually God himself?

Because I was reading some versions of the bible (verses which ar quoted often to claim Jesus is God) translated from Aramaic, Hebrew by different people, but one translation of Phillipians 2:5 got me thinking. It said "And think ye so in yourselves, as Jesus the Messiah also thought 6 who as he was in the likeness of God deemed it no trespass to be coequal to God"
Now some people may be like, so what? it still says he's like God/is God. But the key part for me, is that it said Jesus was in the LIKENESS of God and Genesis also says that we are made in the likeness of God. However, we people are not God. So now I'm confused

Also, I just wanted to read into other denominations too to kind of understand more. So if you could answer my first question, it'd be much appreciated.
the bear
Badges: 20
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 month ago
anyone denying that Our Lord is God cannot call themselves a Christian. there are various heretical sects which embrace this idea.
Obolinda
Badges: 21
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 month ago
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nontrinitarianism
NJA
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
John 1v1: In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.

Hebrews 1v6-8: And again, when he brings in the firstbegotten into the world, he says, And let all the angels of God worship him. [7] And of the angels he says, Who makes his angels spirits, and his ministers a flame of fire. [8] But unto the Son he says, Thy throne, O God, is for ever and ever: a sceptre of righteousness is the sceptre of thy kingdom.

There are others but before you get into all that, have you even got what Paul, John and the other disciples received in Acts 2?
The baptism in the Spirit is becoming a member of God's Church, without it you can never know God or understand him properly.
Last edited by NJA; 1 month ago
Soontobesuper
Badges: 16
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
Theres a group ,I cant remember who their led by, which take what youve said and use it to mean we're all God, that we all have God within us. Which I guess you could say is the Spirit but tI think they interpret it differently.
I think when yo put that verse in the context of others, yes we are made in Gods likeness, but a child is in the likeness of a parent, but it doesnt mean they are the parent. Conversly, whilst Jesus was the Son of God, he also says he is God.
londonmyst
Badges: 18
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
Have you looked into non trinitarian christianity or the messanic jews?
Check out the christadelphians, biblical unitarianism. and mormonism. :cool:
MikeBou
Badges: 2
Rep:
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
I'm exploring moving church and I was wondering, are there any denominations that think that Jesus is the son of God but not God? Or some that think he's the messiah but not actually God himself?

Because I was reading some versions of the bible (verses which ar quoted often to claim Jesus is God) translated from Aramaic, Hebrew by different people, but one translation of Phillipians 2:5 got me thinking. It said "And think ye so in yourselves, as Jesus the Messiah also thought 6 who as he was in the likeness of God deemed it no trespass to be coequal to God"
Now some people may be like, so what? it still says he's like God/is God. But the key part for me, is that it said Jesus was in the LIKENESS of God and Genesis also says that we are made in the likeness of God. However, we people are not God. So now I'm confused

Also, I just wanted to read into other denominations too to kind of understand more. So if you could answer my first question, it'd be much appreciated.
There are many verses in the Bible that show a clear distinction between God and Jesus. Indeed, while it is often said that Jesus is God or that Jesus is equal to God, Jesus himself taught differently. For example, he said: "The Father is greater than I am." (John 14:28) According to Jesus, God is superior to him.

Additionally, rather than being God, Jesus showed that he HAS a God, one whom he worships. Notice what he says when speaking to Mary Magdalene: "I am ascending to my Father and your Father and to my God and your God." (John 20:17) Do you see how Jesus said he has a God? Who is Jesus' God? The Bible reveals who the Almighty God is, his name is Jehovah: "May people know that you, whose name is Jehovah, you alone are the Most High over all the earth."—Psalm 83:18.

If you or others here are interested to learn more about what the Bible teaches about Jehovah God and his Son, Jesus, then there is a brochure called Good News From God! that I'll link you to. When you have time, give it a look:

- Good News From God!
NJA
Rep:
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by MikeBou)
If you or others here are interested to learn more about what the Bible teaches about Jehovah God and his Son, Jesus, then there is a brochure called Good News From God! that I'll link you to. When you have time, give it a look:

- Good News From God!
Or, do as Jesus said we need to ad receive the Spirit of God, He will lead into all truth and you will have no need of the teaching of man.

Have you received the Holy Spirit Mike?
As detailed in the bible I mean, not man's ideas - John 14v17, 20, Acts 2v4, 10v44-46
Justvisited
Badges: 18
Rep:
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by MikeBou)
There are many verses in the Bible that show a clear distinction between God and Jesus. Indeed, while it is often said that Jesus is God or that Jesus is equal to God, Jesus himself taught differently. For example, he said: "The Father is greater than I am." (John 14:28) According to Jesus, God is superior to him.

Additionally, rather than being God, Jesus showed that he HAS a God, one whom he worships. Notice what he says when speaking to Mary Magdalene: "I am ascending to my Father and your Father and to my God and your God." (John 20:17) Do you see how Jesus said he has a God? Who is Jesus' God? The Bible reveals who the Almighty God is, his name is Jehovah: "May people know that you, whose name is Jehovah, you alone are the Most High over all the earth."—Psalm 83:18.

- Good News From God!
And the same gospel (5:18) says that by claiming God was his Father, Jesus made himself "equal with God." Get the big picture.

Further, Jesus is called God in Psalm 45:6 (cited in Hebrews 1:12 above by another poster), and this is consistent with the expression "God, your God" in v. 7, so John 20:17 which has the same concept doesn't disprove Jesus' deity.

As for God's name, Jesus has that too, e.g. Mark 1:3 cf. Isaiah 40:3; and 1 Peter 2:7-8 cf. Isaiah 8:14.

"Non-trinitarian Christianity" is a contradiction in terms.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How would you describe the quality of the digital skills you're taught at school?

Excellent (17)
9.09%
Okay (56)
29.95%
A bit lacking (64)
34.22%
Not good at all (50)
26.74%

Watched Threads