Failing uni because of one module I can’t wrap my head around

Watch
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Hey

So I have I’m generally on top of all my uni work, and have an excellent understanding of all the work I’m doing however, there’s one module where no matter what I do, I will not understand any of it, not the lectures, seminars, readings… hell, I don’t even understand what the module is about, and it’s one that I have to take with my course.

I’m falling so behind because I don’t understand any of it, and (stupidly) I’m too scared to attend the seminars because it’s very collaborative and I don’t know what any of it means, or how I can contribute in a pair without embarrassing myself! I’m also too ashamed to contact my tutor to tell him that I don’t know what I don’t know

Has anyone got any suggestions about what I should do? Or even how I should go about this issue? I’m struggling with time because of my job and also commuting too, so catching up to things that I’ve fallen behind on is challenging.

I’d really appreciate any advice

Thanks
Napp
Badges: 22
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 month ago
Whats the module out of interest?
Why dont you look into getting a tutor for it though? Other than that, ask your lecturer for more help (thats what theyre there for) or simply buy some other books/resources on the topic and make sure its in a more understandable format. The last one can be quite handy, at least it was for me, i was struggling with understanding some concept another and the course book was shite in the way it was written, after finding a much better written one actually understood the thing much better
Moonlight Rain
Badges: 21
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 month ago
You're not stupid and the whole point of seminars are to discuss what you have learnt from the lecture in detail and ask things you may not understand. It's okay to not understand everything, it doesn't make you stupid at all and that's why your teachers are there for. You will only be able to progress if you ask for help. Don't let your pride get in the way. You're doing well in other modules, don't let this one module drag you down. The longer you leave this, the more difficult it will be to turn it around and pass this module. Please seek help.
mnot
Badges: 20
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
Hey

So I have I’m generally on top of all my uni work, and have an excellent understanding of all the work I’m doing however, there’s one module where no matter what I do, I will not understand any of it, not the lectures, seminars, readings… hell, I don’t even understand what the module is about, and it’s one that I have to take with my course.

I’m falling so behind because I don’t understand any of it, and (stupidly) I’m too scared to attend the seminars because it’s very collaborative and I don’t know what any of it means, or how I can contribute in a pair without embarrassing myself! I’m also too ashamed to contact my tutor to tell him that I don’t know what I don’t know

Has anyone got any suggestions about what I should do? Or even how I should go about this issue? I’m struggling with time because of my job and also commuting too, so catching up to things that I’ve fallen behind on is challenging.

Thanks
Well the intial steps are obvious, attend the seminars. Better to learn even if you are a little out your comfort zone then fall further behind.

Secondly issues you have, raise with the tutor. Your tutor won’t be ashamed, they will try to help you, they want the best for their students.
Scotney
Badges: 20
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
Hey

Thanks
Well running away from the situation is definitely not the way to go for starters.This happens to the best of us so speak to your tutor and tell him you are having trouble getting to grips with the concepts needed for this module.If you could share some details we could try and help you further than the above general advice.
arabie2001
Badges: 14
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
I’m not going to lie, I have the same issue, I have one module that is recurring every year and now I’m in final year it’s coming back to haunt me…

First year and second year I failed the exam, second year I passed the module because I got really high on the coursework but first year it were a shambles.

Seminars I’m in the same boat as you. Problem is with seminars is that you need to give your work in so when you have tried and failed to solve the questions it feels like your the odd one out. Nobody seems to be asking the questions everyone just nods and it seems like they all know it except you. Furthermore, my university specifically say, there is no help in seminars because and I quote “it’s all about you and what you learned” ?

Even I have no idea what to do, I don’t attend, no one seems to care, I do attend and no one seems to care…

By the way before anyone says “you should of have wrapped your head around it by now” I genuinely tried, I bought books, I had a tutor, I asked other students (for some reason they have the answers but don’t have any knowledge to share… weird right), I asked lecturers (“we don’t give out answers”)

If anyone one knows someone who can genuinely teach me Advanced Financial Accounting Theory and Practice before the end of next semester (and advanced corporate finance) let me know I guess
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How would you describe the quality of the digital skills you're taught at school?

Excellent (20)
8.85%
Okay (65)
28.76%
A bit lacking (85)
37.61%
Not good at all (56)
24.78%

Watched Threads