Soul Wavel3ngth
Badges: 14
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
https://media.discordapp.net/attachm...4735_Drive.jpg

https://media.discordapp.net/attachm...497&height=663

I'm not sure if negatives answers are correct and I don't know how to get to the correct answer for the special chamber. Any tips?
Callicious
Badges: 22
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 month ago
Name:  editedforguy.jpg
Views: 16
Size:  111.8 KB
I've never dealt with manometers before, but I'm just hedging a few bets...

P_{left} - P_{right} = \rho{g}{h}

where h is relative to the right side. If the column rises on the left instead of the right, then it's going to be a negative h and hence the right side has a higher pressure. Anyhow...

Based on that, the gauge pressure of 5 kPa (hence the pressure of the balloon must be 1 ATM + 5 kPa) will yield a height of 0.63m ish.

The absolute pressure of 5 kPa will yield a h of roughly 12m... ish (using 1e5 as the ATM- I know it's not exact but forgive me for forgetting...) which is what they want.

In your case, you used absolute pressure for the balloon, and you... well I don't know what you did for the special chamber...

EDIT
I didn't mention this but you should know that Gauge Pressure = WHAT IS MEASURED BY THE GAUGE (hence RELATIVE to ATMOSPHERIC PRESSURE)
Last edited by Callicious; 1 month ago
Soul Wavel3ngth
Badges: 14
Rep:
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
(Original post by Callicious)
Name:  editedforguy.jpg
Views: 16
Size:  111.8 KB
I've never dealt with manometers before, but I'm just hedging a few bets...

P_{left} - P_{right} = \rho{g}{h}

where h is relative to the right side. If the column rises on the left instead of the right, then it's going to be a negative h and hence the right side has a higher pressure. Anyhow...

Based on that, the gauge pressure of 5 kPa (hence the pressure of the balloon must be 1 ATM + 5 kPa) will yield a height of 0.63m ish.

The absolute pressure of 5 kPa will yield a h of roughly 12m... ish (using 1e5 as the ATM- I know it's not exact but forgive me for forgetting...) which is what they want.

In your case, you used absolute pressure for the balloon, and you... well I don't know what you did for the special chamber...

EDIT
I didn't mention this but you should know that Gauge Pressure = WHAT IS MEASURED BY THE GAUGE (hence RELATIVE to ATMOSPHERIC PRESSURE)
Sorry for the late response and thank you.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How would you describe the quality of the digital skills you're taught at school?

Excellent (33)
9.85%
Okay (97)
28.96%
A bit lacking (122)
36.42%
Not good at all (83)
24.78%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise