The Student Room Group

A level combo choices!

(edited 5 months ago)
Reply 1
Do what you enjoy and do it well. Studying something you enjoy will more likely lead to better results. The grades you get will be more influential to get into a Russell group university. However, picking those A levels will obviously lock you out of courses such as the likes of STEM degrees. Do you roughly know what degree study areas interest you? Also, if you can, start thinking about work experience/internships / from day one! Your future self will thank you, trust me.

I took Geography, Politics, English Lit and Biology at AS. I got an E in Biology and dropped it (picked it to keep my options open). Focusing on the other subjects at A level was much better for me and I did extremely well. Go with your gut.
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by eleanor132
hi, i was wondering if this combo of choices is too 'weak' to get into a russel group university
-English Literature
-Art
-Religous Studies: Philosophy & Ethics

these are only really the subjects that i enjoy, i mean i could do biology if this subject choice is too weak but i dont overly enjoy it

i also dont know what degree i want to do so i kinda want to keep my options open

im about the same grades at all subjects so i cant really choose the one im best at

any advice would be much appreciated,
thank you!

What do you mean, 'too weak'? Too weak for what? Medicine - yes, definitely? Astrophysics - yes, not great.

And it's Russell
Look down this list of degree subjects at just this one Uni - https://www.sussex.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/- look at all of the degree subjects that interest you and see what A level subjects are actually required for them - American Studies, Anthropology, Internationa Relations, Philosophy, Film Studies, Law, Socioloy, etc etc and lots of other degree subjects you wont be familiar with but could be the one that grabs your interest.

Unis dont look at 'combinations;' or if subjects 'go together', 'compliment each other' or any of the other ideas that 6th Formers come up with. Unis ask for relevant required subjects and/or preferred subjects for that specific course. Read this - all of it - https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/a-level/subjects/choosing-your-subjects

Quick Reply

Latest