Bazookaboobs
Badges: 13
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I did the qualification because post-uni, I was struggling to find a good paying job. I was a receptionist otherwise. I know, stupid.. but felt sort of stuck. I do like teaching, it's bringing the work home and having no life that I struggle with.

If anything, it has cemented my dream in wanting to become a doctor so will study/apply for that for next year.

I don't want to drop out as I have nothing else to fall back on, and I feel very pressured to stay on the course in regards to my family.

Does it get better? I know it's a year, so I am hoping it flies by.. not scared to put the work in but I am struggling to focus on the degree when I know I have no intention of using it. I graduated about three years ago... so I am a 'mature student'.

Also, the MBBS uni's that I will apply to want a recent qualification with a pass grade, so this helps towards that.

Guess I am just looking for advise? I don't know, I might just end up loving it.
amberrose13
Badges: 9
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 month ago
It definitely does not get 'better'! Your teaching gets better and towards the end you feel more confident, but in terms of the workload, that is only going to increase- honestly your workload will be relatively light right now if it's only your first week. If you're feeling like this now, you're quite unlikely to change your mind later on because it just gets more and more intense. I will say I think it's quite common to get overwhelmed when the reality of the workload hits you, so maybe see if you can manage until Christmas- you've already got your student loan until then anyway, you may as well see it out, and your workload will be relatively light compared to later in the course, so you can see if you enjoy it more.

I would say, though, Medicine is equally- if not more- intense and I'd say it requires a lot more studying. It's also not like Medicine is known for its work-life balance either, if you're wanting to work for the NHS- so you're wanting a job where you'll have a life, not sure being a doctor is the way to go either! At least with teaching, you have the long holidays, none of that with medicine at all- and you'll often be required to work Christmas Day and the like.

However, the difference may well be that you're actually passionate about Medicine and it seems like from this post you just felt pressured into going for the first 'professional' opportunity that came along and you're not really keen on being a teacher. In that case, I'm not saying drop out, obviously, but think carefully if you want to put yourself through the stress of a PCGE- and you'd struggle to find anyone to say it's anything but super stressful- if it's not something you ultimately want to pursue for the sake of a qualification. There are much easier- and more relevant- qualifications to get if Medicine is your long-term goal! Also it seems silly to incur thousands of pounds of further debt for a qualification you're not going to use that will come out of your pay in the future.
1secondsofvamps
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
A PGCE is not easy, I went through it last year. And unfortunately, teaching is one of those careers where the to-do list is never ending. If you don't enjoy everything that comes with teaching then you really will struggle (physically and mentally) as time goes on.
You shouldnt go into teaching just because you're desperate for a job.

If your interests really does lie within medicine then go for it.
Muttley79
Badges: 20
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Bazookaboobs)
I did the qualification because post-uni, I was struggling to find a good paying job. I was a receptionist otherwise. I know, stupid.. but felt sort of stuck. I do like teaching, it's bringing the work home and having no life that I struggle with.

If anything, it has cemented my dream in wanting to become a doctor so will study/apply for that for next year.

I don't want to drop out as I have nothing else to fall back on, and I feel very pressured to stay on the course in regards to my family.

Does it get better? I know it's a year, so I am hoping it flies by.. not scared to put the work in but I am struggling to focus on the degree when I know I have no intention of using it. I graduated about three years ago... so I am a 'mature student'.

Also, the MBBS uni's that I will apply to want a recent qualification with a pass grade, so this helps towards that.

Guess I am just looking for advise? I don't know, I might just end up loving it.
What sort of PGCE is this? Surely you are still learning theory and not preparing lessons?
SarcAndSpark
Badges: 20
Rep:
Report 1 month ago

Are you still uni based? If so, some people do find they prefer the course once they are in school/the classroom. But in terms of workload, this is the easy period. It is a tough year, and you may be better looking for a different course for your MBBS. I think it's very hard to pass a PGCE when your heart isn't in it.
Incidentaloma
Badges: 10
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
I was a teacher for over ten years, now applying for med as a career changer. What do you mean when you say you love teaching? Have you had enough relevant work experience in schools? It does sounds odd for someone to say they love the job and then in the same breath announce they have no intention of using their PGCE. A teaching assistant job might have been more useful to you, to help you make up your mind. If you are generally an indecisive person, I would recommend that you stick at the PGCE (as there's no guarantee you wouldn't want to drop out of medicine a week in either), but if this level of indecision is out of character for you, it would make sense to look at teaching assistant posts rather than sinking £9k into a qualification you might not even want.
SE179
Badges: 7
Rep:
Report 4 weeks ago

Up to you isn't it. Unless you fancy getting a temp job or whatever it is you'll do for a living for a year, stick with it, but you quit that, right? The people skills are very transferable with medicine, I imagine.

That said, I can't imagine I'd stick with it if I wasn't interested in it - it's hard work. But I'm waking up every day looking forward to going to school or uni, so it doesn't feel like it to me.
Last edited by SE179; 4 weeks ago
Bazookaboobs
Badges: 13
Rep:
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
Thank you all - I am going to ride it out. I am not 100% about it but I am starting to like it (?) as we go along. I have a part-time job I can fall on where I earn £15 an hour but that's just weekends.. so I will get on with it.

But I will certainly pursue medicine - that's the career for me. I know it.

Thanks again.
Last edited by Bazookaboobs; 4 weeks ago
Numb and dumb
Badges: 3
Rep:
Report 4 weeks ago

Do the PGCE - it is worth it
amberrose13
Badges: 9
Rep:
Report 4 weeks ago
Thank you all - I am going to ride it out. I am not 100% about it but I am starting to like it (?) as we go along. I have a part-time job I can fall on where I earn £15 an hour but that's just weekends.. so I will get on with it.

But I will certainly pursue medicine - that's the career for me. I know it.

Thanks again.
Good for you! I honestly loved my PGCE, but I loved it from the start so no surprise there! I really hope you continue to enjoy it, and I think it will give you a lot of skills (such as time management, prioritisation, people skills, conflict management) that will help out in your future career.

I'd caution against having a part-time job in the latter part of the course, as it'll be nigh on impossible to juggle, especially as you've mentioned finding the workload a bit tough! You're going to end up doing a full-time job that requires a lot of extra work anyway, and then you've got your coursework and evidence collection too. But, of course, it's completely up to you and you may need it for financial reasons. It's just that my course, everyone I know who started with a part-time job either quit it or ended up really struggling with the course later on. Just something to keep in mind!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How would you describe the quality of the digital skills you're taught at school?

Excellent (37)
9.61%
Okay (112)
29.09%
A bit lacking (145)
37.66%
Not good at all (91)
23.64%

Watched Threads