Where should I get help with lecture material if I don't understand it?

Watch
David_Collyer
Badges: 1
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I've been struggling with a few different topics from lectures recently, as I'm finding it quite difficult to understand the course material, particularly for Thermodynamics. However, there doesn't seem to be anyone I can ask to help; the university ran four tutorial classes a week last year, but this year there doesn't seem to be any in-person helpe available at all. The only thing I can find is an online forum for each subject where you type questions and get a written response, but that isn't particularly helpful unless you have a problem with a specific question. I have also tried emailing my lecturers, but I mostly don't get a response, and when I do, it is often very short. Can anyone think of any place I can go to ask questions in-person so someone can explain it to me?

Thank you very much
Anonymy0us
Badges: 10
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by David_Collyer)
I've been struggling with a few different topics from lectures recently, as I'm finding it quite difficult to understand the course material, particularly for Thermodynamics. However, there doesn't seem to be anyone I can ask to help; the university ran four tutorial classes a week last year, but this year there doesn't seem to be any in-person helpe available at all. The only thing I can find is an online forum for each subject where you type questions and get a written response, but that isn't particularly helpful unless you have a problem with a specific question. I have also tried emailing my lecturers, but I mostly don't get a response, and when I do, it is often very short. Can anyone think of any place I can go to ask questions in-person so someone can explain it to me?

Thank you very much
I don't understand why the **** your lecturers don't respond to you if you pay your tuition like everyone else i would definitely complain if i were you. If you're struggling to follow lecture notes then try finding resources online on the topics. Particularly try googling strictly for pdf documents. So if you want material for thermodynamics then google: thermodynamics lecture notes filetype=pdf. Reading an explanation from a different source could help you understand the topics better. As for in person support, your lecturers should provide it to you i have no idea where else you can go for f2f support for such a specific subject so keep nagging your lecturers as much as you can
David_Collyer
Rep:
Ok thanks for the advice!
Anonymy0us
Badges: 10
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
Ok thanks for the advice!
Happy to help
PhoenixFortune
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 1 month ago

Thank you very much
Do your lecturers have office hours, either online or in-person?
David_Collyer
Rep:
(Original post by PhoenixFortune)
Do your lecturers have office hours, either online or in-person?
Yes- for some lecturers they're by appointment and for others they're open to everyone, but only for one hour a week. Some lecturers alternate between in-person and online, and others just do them in-person. Is it worth going to these?
PhoenixFortune
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
Yes- for some lecturers they're by appointment and for others they're open to everyone, but only for one hour a week. Some lecturers alternate between in-person and online, and others just do them in-person. Is it worth going to these?
Office hours are exactly for the purpose of asking the lecturer to clarify any points you're not sure about or getting more information. Obviously you can't take up the whole hour as other students may also want assistance during that hour, but it's a great way to pointed in the right direction.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Would you give consent for uni's to contact your parent/trusted person in a mental health crisis?

Yes - my parent/carer (65)
32.83%
Yes - a trusted person (54)
27.27%
No (52)
26.26%
I'm not sure (27)
13.64%

Watched Threads