danhumphreyxo
Badges: 1
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Hey guys, I got into the video interview and wanted to ask, are we supposed to base answers off of the core competencies or the success profiles? slightly confused as says online they have switched over to success profiles and also the core competency framework for civil service is dated to 2018. Appreciate any help
Reddy5001
Badges: 11
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by danhumphreyxo)
Hey guys, I got into the video interview and wanted to ask, are we supposed to base answers off of the core competencies or the success profiles? slightly confused as says online they have switched over to success profiles and also the core competency framework for civil service is dated to 2018. Appreciate any help
Congratulations on getting to the interview, from what I remember, Civil Service interviews are a mix of behaviour and strength questions.

Strengths are questions that you can't prepare for and have to run with whatever comes into your head as they are looking to see what you are like as a person.

Behaviour questions are based on success profiles and look to assess the competencies set out in the success profiles document (read the paperwork and look at the mentioned behaviours, fast stream behaviours are HEO/SEO level in the success profiles document from what I remember). These questions are looking for examples from your past and they can be anything from work to volunteering. Behaviour questions should be answered in the Situation, Task, Actions and Result format. I'd advise creating flash cards to do with each behaviour to use as a prompt (this is acceptable to do and keeps you focused). Do not read off a script otherwise you won't score as highly as you could've.

The Civil Service competencies were phased out back in 2018 and replaced with Success Profiles.

Good luck with your interview!
danhumphreyxo
Badges: 1
Rep:
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
(Original post by Reddy5001)
Congratulations on getting to the interview, from what I remember, Civil Service interviews are a mix of behaviour and strength questions.

Strengths are questions that you can't prepare for and have to run with whatever comes into your head as they are looking to see what you are like as a person.

Behaviour questions are based on success profiles and look to assess the competencies set out in the success profiles document (read the paperwork and look at the mentioned behaviours, fast stream behaviours are HEO/SEO level in the success profiles document from what I remember). These questions are looking for examples from your past and they can be anything from work to volunteering. Behaviour questions should be answered in the Situation, Task, Actions and Result format. I'd advise creating flash cards to do with each behaviour to use as a prompt (this is acceptable to do and keeps you focused). Do not read off a script otherwise you won't score as highly as you could've.

The Civil Service competencies were phased out back in 2018 and replaced with Success Profiles.

Good luck with your interview!
Hello, thank-you so much for your congratulations and detailed response.

This information will prove invaluable to my revision for the run up to taking this exam!

One question I have, this is definitely me overthinking as I have the tendency to get anxious around interviews and exam and then panic when I am in the middle of them, how will I know if a question is strengths or behaviour based?

Many thanks
Reddy5001
Badges: 11
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
Hi, it's ok and you'll usually know either around how long you have to answer (strengths usually 2 mins to answer whereas behaviours are 4 mins and you get a minute to prepare before each question) or how the question is worded. Some interviews from experience will usually give you the behaviour being assessed and the question underneath whereas strengths are just a question if that makes sense.

All I'd say to combat nerves and anxiety is prepare before the interview but have flash cards handy during it to keep you on track whilst also making sure you don't read off a script.

Good luck with the interview
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How would you describe the quality of the digital skills you're taught at school?

Excellent (20)
8.77%
Okay (66)
28.95%
A bit lacking (85)
37.28%
Not good at all (57)
25%

Watched Threads