Extended project qualification

Watch this thread
Richard Chen
Badges: 1
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 8 months ago
I just started A level this year and I chose EPQ as one of my subject. My question is “Is Motorsports safe and how are they improving safety”. Because I just start this project so now I’m just doing as much research form I can. I did some research based on F1 safety and some about NASCAR safety. Can you give me some suggestions about what other research I can do because the safety articles and websites are limited online. And what other things I could do to improve my EPQ writing? Thank you so much
josie71202
Badges: 21
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 8 months ago
EPQ textbooks are super useful. I think there's a guide on here
Cote1
Badges: 20
Rep:
Report 8 months ago
Hi
I am not a teacher. I know a little bit about EPQs but am no expert so there may be others on here who can advise you better. However, these are some suggestions you might consider.
Is this your actual question?

You may need to be clear on who 'they' are.

It would be 'are' motorsports safe.

You may need to amend your question in agreement with your supervisor if this is the question you are going with definitely.

You need to be clear that there is enough research to proceed and that your question is not too broad. I know nothing about this but do you need to focus on one particular type of motorsport? I guess you could look at evidenced arguments why they are safe then evidenced arguments that they are not safe then come to a conclusion on the evidence. Personally I would define 'safe' in this context or rephrase it.

If you then add in how safety is being improved this almost implies that they are not safe. Also, can you explore this fully as well as the other part of the question within the limit of 5000 words?

You only have 5000 words and will need an introduction and conclusion and possibly an abstract.

If it does not work well for an EPQ you could see if you are still able to change or amend your question.

As said above, there are good EPQ textbooks you can buy which may help. You could also buy a good book on how to write in an academic style as that will be the style of writing expected for the EPQ.

Personally, I would look again at the question as well as deciding if it is worth proceeding with this particular topic if you cannot find enough reliable research - though it is obviously your choice and I am definitely not saying don't do it! 🙂

I guess you will have tried Google Scholar. I think it could be preferable to try and source a variety of research. Exam boards don't necessarily like to see a list of websites solely (just what I have heard so don't quote me 🙂) so it may be good to also have, for example, books, YouTube clips, interviews, newspapers, articles, etc.

You could also consider what sort of primary research of your own you can obtain.

Any changes you make to your title and the process you go through should be logged. Your log will get you marks and is very important. Do it in detail (is my advice).
Last edited by Cote1; 8 months ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest

Does school Maths prepare people well enough for the future?

Yes, it gives everyone a good foundation for any future path (46)
30.46%
Somewhat, if your future involves maths/STEM (67)
44.37%
No, it doesn't teach enough practical life skills (37)
24.5%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (1)
0.66%

Watched Threads