The Student Room Group

I don't know what to do (Law Degree)

Hey guys. Hope everyone's well. I started my LLB Law degree about a month ago, and I really really feel like I've made the wrong decision. All of our lectures are online (which they only notified us of after the term started and we'd all paid for accommodation). Personally, I'm more of a visual and kinaesthetic learner, so having everything online is really unhelpful for me and literally nothing seems to be going in. I never understood how to take effective notes in secondary school and during my A levels, and now I feel like this will affect me greatly in at university, as everything is much more independent. I have found so far that when I'm watching the pre-recorded lectures and taking notes, I end up writing a transcript of what the lecturer is saying rather than the key points. I'm finding it so hard to identify these and come up with an effective notetaking and study system, and this has meant that I'm really behind with my notes and lectures.

Also, my main reason for studying law was the my interests in some of the modules (especially Criminal Law), my interest in the topic of justice as well as some indirect pressure from family members. But so far Criminal Law is nothing like I thought they would be and I fear I have made a grave mistake.

Part of me wants to keep at it for a while and see if it gets better, but I'm really worried that it won't and by the time I finally accept that it'll be too late to do anything about it.

I just feel so hopeless and anxious about the whole course and I don't know what to do. If I understood some of what was being taught post-lecture, or understood how to take effective notes and revise well, or had somebody to help me understand how to take notes and effective ways to study Law, maybe it wouldn't be so bad. But I have none of these.

I'm also really scared of the chance of me finally realising that Law isn't right for me and having to tell my parents. Even though they're really understanding, I feel like I'll be letting them down and I don't know what I can do.

I'm so sorry for taking up so much of your time. But if anyone can read this and offer some advice that would be extremely helpful. I honestly feel like such a failure atm, and I don't know what I can do. If anyone can help, I would be really grateful. Thanks so much in advance
Original post by Ali-liyyah
Hey guys. Hope everyone's well. I started my LLB Law degree about a month ago, and I really really feel like I've made the wrong decision. All of our lectures are online (which they only notified us of after the term started and we'd all paid for accommodation). Personally, I'm more of a visual and kinaesthetic learner, so having everything online is really unhelpful for me and literally nothing seems to be going in. I never understood how to take effective notes in secondary school and during my A levels, and now I feel like this will affect me greatly in at university, as everything is much more independent. I have found so far that when I'm watching the pre-recorded lectures and taking notes, I end up writing a transcript of what the lecturer is saying rather than the key points. I'm finding it so hard to identify these and come up with an effective notetaking and study system, and this has meant that I'm really behind with my notes and lectures.

Also, my main reason for studying law was the my interests in some of the modules (especially Criminal Law), my interest in the topic of justice as well as some indirect pressure from family members. But so far Criminal Law is nothing like I thought they would be and I fear I have made a grave mistake.

Part of me wants to keep at it for a while and see if it gets better, but I'm really worried that it won't and by the time I finally accept that it'll be too late to do anything about it.

I just feel so hopeless and anxious about the whole course and I don't know what to do. If I understood some of what was being taught post-lecture, or understood how to take effective notes and revise well, or had somebody to help me understand how to take notes and effective ways to study Law, maybe it wouldn't be so bad. But I have none of these.

I'm also really scared of the chance of me finally realising that Law isn't right for me and having to tell my parents. Even though they're really understanding, I feel like I'll be letting them down and I don't know what I can do.

I'm so sorry for taking up so much of your time. But if anyone can read this and offer some advice that would be extremely helpful. I honestly feel like such a failure atm, and I don't know what I can do. If anyone can help, I would be really grateful. Thanks so much in advance

Law isn't for everyone, and a lot of people find that it's not to their liking when they start their undergrad degree. I think it's probably safe to say that quite a lot of people find it fairly boring overall, and though there are obviously parts that are more interesting than others, it can be quite a dry and dull degree - of course, some people find the whole thing fascinating.

Given this position, you either stick it out - being honest with yourself that it's possibly not going to be the most thrilling three years of your life - just to get a good degree at the end, or you recognize that you'd like to study something else instead and change subject. I did the latter - you get one 'funded' chance to study an undergraduate degree, and so you really must study something that you actually enjoy and want to learn. You probably won't get another chance.

Remember than about half of all lawyers don't have an undergrad in law, so it's by no means a requirement. This might sweeten the pill for your folks if you have to convey 'bad' news that you've decided to change subject. You need to make that choice for you, not for what your parents might or might not ideally want for you. It's your life, your degree and your money that's going to end up paying for it. Make the right choice for you. :smile:
Reply 2
Hey. Thank you for your response. It's really useful. I just don't know what to actually do now though. Like, if I say I don't want to study Law at university anymore, I don't really know what else I would do, as university was the only choice I had really considered. And I feel like it's too late to switch onto another course, but if it wasn't I would probably do Business Management or a business-related degree, as this was another area I was debating going into when I was applying to go to uni. I just feel like there's nothing I can do, and I really don't know how to let my parents know that I'm feeling this way.
Original post by Ali-liyyah
Hey. Thank you for your response. It's really useful. I just don't know what to actually do now though. Like, if I say I don't want to study Law at university anymore, I don't really know what else I would do, as university was the only choice I had really considered. And I feel like it's too late to switch onto another course, but if it wasn't I would probably do Business Management or a business-related degree, as this was another area I was debating going into when I was applying to go to uni. I just feel like there's nothing I can do, and I really don't know how to let my parents know that I'm feeling this way.

No problem - but please quote me in if you reply, otherwise I don't know that you have (I just happened to see this in the list) :smile:

I'd speak to your tutor about this, pronto. It's probably not too late to change - you've only done, what, four weeks? Now is the time to change, if you want to - but don't delay with it, because it really will be too late soon.

Arrange to speak to your tutor or programme leader to discuss your options.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending