Mentor05
Badges: 10
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 7 months ago
Hey guys,

I am currently thinking of what to do for my EPQ. Stem cells seemed like a good idea but most candidates are doing stem cells, so I feel as if universities may get bored of everyone doing the same topic. Does anyone have any recommendations or suggestions of what would be a good EPQ for Medicine?
ecolier
Badges: 22
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 7 months ago
(Original post by Mentor05)
...so I feel as if universities may get bored of everyone doing the same topic...
No, we don't get "bored". Most med schools don't really care about EPQs, and those who do care mostly about the grades.

Read https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho....php?t=1546716 for a discussion of Medicine EPQ ideas.
Mentor05
Rep:
(Original post by ecolier)
No, we don't get "bored". Most med schools don't really care about EPQs, and those who do care mostly about the grades.

Read https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho....php?t=1546716 for a discussion of Medicine EPQ ideas.
Thanks! I really do appreciate all of your advice Do you know if Oxbridge or Imperial College care about the EPQ?
ecolier
Rep:
Report 7 months ago
Thanks! I really do appreciate all of your advice Do you know if Oxbridge or Imperial College care about the EPQ?
They look at all aspects of your application, but Oxbridge are more "academic" than most med schools.

UCL definitely does (and they don't say how), in addition to a few med schools who will literally give you an advantage if you have a good grade in your EPQ: e.g. HYMS, Sheffield, Lancaster etc. will give an offer of AAB if you have A grade or above in your EPQ.
Mentor05
Rep:
They look at all aspects of your application, but Oxbridge are more "academic" than most med schools.

UCL definitely does (and they don't say how), in addition to a few med schools who will literally give you an advantage if you have a good grade in your EPQ: e.g. HYMS, Sheffield, Lancaster etc. will give an offer of AAB if you have A grade or above in your EPQ.
Thanks, that is really helpful! These are my current ideas, It will be on one of these.

Should a doctor be able to provide medical care to a minor despite their parent's wishes?

Do you agree that artificial tissues and organs are efficient?

Do you agree or disagree that can computers replace doctors completely?

Should blood donations be compulsory?

Should genetic engineering be allowed in treatment of incurable diseases?

Stem cell brain injections let people walk again after stroke. Are stem cells the next breakthrough in medicine?

Should human genome editing be legalized?

Should human genes be patented?

In a life and death situation, medical decisions should the doctors be the one to decide or relatives should decide?

Does genetic screening of embryos devalue human life?

Artificial intelligence in medicine, a welcome change?

Is there an associative link between Autistic spectrum disorder and Synaesthesia?

They are all so interesting though, so I am struggling to make a decision. Any recommendations or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
ecolier
Rep:
Report 7 months ago
Thanks, that is really helpful! These are my current ideas, It will be on one of these.

Should a doctor be able to provide medical care to a minor despite their parent's wishes?

Do you agree that artificial tissues and organs are efficient?

Do you agree or disagree that can computers replace doctors completely?

Should blood donations be compulsory?

Should genetic engineering be allowed in treatment of incurable diseases?

Stem cell brain injections let people walk again after stroke. Are stem cells the next breakthrough in medicine?

Should human genome editing be legalized?

Should human genes be patented?

In a life and death situation, medical decisions should the doctors be the one to decide or relatives should decide?

Does genetic screening of embryos devalue human life?

Artificial intelligence in medicine, a welcome change?

Is there an associative link between Autistic spectrum disorder and Synaesthesia?

They are all so interesting though, so I am struggling to make a decision. Any recommendations or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Wow I don't have time to read through and analyse all of these for you - it's best to just have a google and see which topic has lots of discussion / research and go with that (and obviously if you are interested).
Mentor05
Rep:
Wow I don't have time to read through and analyse all of these for you - it's best to just have a google and see which topic has lots of discussion / research and go with that (and obviously if you are interested).
Thanks. I think I will go with "Should human genome editing be legalised?" I could link this with giving genes patents and how if we legalise it, designer babies may become a reality. I think that could work, or is it too much? But it's not as related to medicine like stem cells are. Finding the topic is the hardest part!
Last edited by Mentor05; 7 months ago
ecolier
Rep:
Report 7 months ago
Thanks. I think I will go with "Should human genome editing be legalised?" I could link this with giving genes patents and how if we legalise it, designer babies may become a reality. I think that could work, or is it too much? But it's not as related to medicine like stem cells are. Finding the topic is the hardest part!
Sounds good to me!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Has advance information helped during your exams?

Yes (132)
66.33%
No (45)
22.61%
I didn't use it to prepare (22)
11.06%

Watched Threads