Degree physics without Physics A level?

Watch this thread
kzboy7
Badges: 12
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 8 months ago
So I haven’t done any physics in like 3 years since GCSE, but it’s always been a subject I’ve been really interested in and was just wondering if it would be possible for me to cope with degree level physics? I’m considering applying to do physics with a foundation year at Manchester uni and wanted to hear people’s thoughts? I also only took Maths at A level and not further maths so please let me know if I’ll be wasting my time/really struggle with degree physics? I did find Maths quite difficult at A level for more info
Last edited by kzboy7; 8 months ago
AbrahamP
Badges: 10
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 8 months ago
(Original post by kzboy7)
So I haven’t done any physics in like 3 years since GCSE, but it’s always been a subject I’ve been really interested in and was just wondering if it would be possible for me to cope with degree level physics? I’m considering applying to do physics with a foundation year at Manchester uni and wanted to hear people’s thoughts? I also only took Maths at A level and not further maths so please let me know if I’ll be wasting my time/really struggle with degree physics? I did find Maths quite difficult at A level for more info
What were your other Alevels?

The physics in Alevels is a big step compared to gcse. How did you cope with the mechanic maths from Alevel maths because if you struggled with that Its gonna get a lot tougher since thats basically the physics maths you'll be dealing with. However that is what a foundation year is to build up the skills you lack. Contact the uni to see if they'd consider you for a foundation. Remember physics is very tough so you must committed to it.
artful_lounger
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 8 months ago
Sinnoh might have some thoughts on this?

In principle if you are doing a foundation year you will be brought up to speed during that foundation year. Also the foundation year coverage may in fact be better preparation for degree level physics by virtue of more likely to be actually calculus based, whereas A-level Physics is algebra based (and I gather puts a lot of emphasis on word-y physical intuition questions?).

I would be more concerned that you found maths difficult at A-level and are considering a physics degree. You would be doing maths both from A-level and beyond literally every single day in a physics day. It's pretty much what all of physics is - maths used in various ways (some topics can be a little less obviously mathematical e.g. condensed matter/solid state physics, but most are very mathematical in nature).

Overall I think the A-level Maths situation is more of an indicator that physics may not be the best option, than not having done A-level Physics and needing to do a foundation year.
Sinnoh
Badges: 22
Rep:
Report 8 months ago
I guess an important thing is what aspect(s) of degree-level physics appeals to you?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest

Were exams easier or harder than you expected?

Easier (51)
26.15%
As I expected (64)
32.82%
Harder (72)
36.92%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (8)
4.1%

Watched Threads