How long are masters degrees?

Watch this thread
janijay
Badges: 13
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 6 months ago
I know this can vary between degrees and university, but I'd like to know for a 1 year Masters course, generally what is the length? Are they a full university academic year (e.g. September to June/July), or is it an actual full year (e.g. September to September).
Last edited by janijay; 6 months ago
jas149
Badges: 16
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 6 months ago
Mine is from September to September (full-time). The first 2 semesters have 8 modules (4 each). Then the third semester (July-Sep) is the dissertation semester. I think most universities follow that pattern.
janijay
Rep:
(Original post by jas149)
Mine is from September to September (full-time). The first 2 semesters have 8 modules (4 each). Then the third semester (July-Sep) is the dissertation semester. I think most universities follow that pattern.
Thanks! Do you mind me asking where you are studying?
jas149
Badges: 16
Rep:
Report 6 months ago
(Original post by janijay)
Thanks! Do you mind me asking where you are studying?
No worries! King's College
LittleSkink
Badges: 17
Rep:
Report 6 months ago
Yes, typically a full year full time

I have done 3 Masters, two started in January and one October. PG start in January is common in my experience (it is at Uni where I teach) but possibly depends if its mature student / part time PG (suits January) or direct follow on from BSc (suits September)

The taught part of mine was well defined but dissertation deadline more flexible, I took 4 years to finish my Dissertation on my last MSc
Last edited by LittleSkink; 6 months ago
PhoenixFortune
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 6 months ago
I know this can vary between degrees and university, but I'd like to know for a 1 year Masters course, generally what is the length? Are they a full university academic year (e.g. September to June/July), or is it an actual full year (e.g. September to September).
It depends on the course - mine ran from September to September, whereas my friend who studied at the same university did a MSc Psychology which ran from September to June.
Callicious
Badges: 22
Rep:
Report 6 months ago
MSc in Astrophys, Edinburgh
Sept 2021 to end of March 2022
(so 8 months)
Last edited by Callicious; 6 months ago
University of Derby
Badges: 12
Rep:
Report 6 months ago
Hi there,

Great question. It can vary depending on your chosen course and how you choose to study. If you study the course part-time for example, it may be spread over twice the time as it would if you studied full-time. Each course can be slightly different, but this information is usually displayed on course pages of the universities website. Some courses start in September, there are also courses with March or January starts, it just depends on your university, and the course itself.

Best of luck!
James - Student Rep
.tb_button {padding:1px;cursorointer;border-right: 1px solid #8b8b8b;border-left: 1px solid #FFF;border-bottom: 1px solid #fff;}.tb_button.hover {borer:2px outset #def; background-color: #f8f8f8 !important;}.ws_toolbar {z-index:100000} .ws_toolbar .ws_tb_btn {cursorointer;border:1px solid #555;padding:3px} .tb_highlight{background-color:yellow} .tb_hide {visibility:hidden} .ws_toolbar img {padding:2px;margin:0px}
janijay
Rep:
(Original post by University of Derby)
Hi there,

Great question. It can vary depending on your chosen course and how you choose to study. If you study the course part-time for example, it may be spread over twice the time as it would if you studied full-time. Each course can be slightly different, but this information is usually displayed on course pages of the universities website. Some courses start in September, there are also courses with March or January starts, it just depends on your university, and the course itself.

Best of luck!
James - Student Rep
.tb_button {padding:1px;cursorointer;border-right: 1px solid #8b8b8b;border-left: 1px solid #FFF;border-bottom: 1px solid #fff;}.tb_button.hover {borer:2px outset #def; background-color: #f8f8f8 !important;}.ws_toolbar {z-index:100000} .ws_toolbar .ws_tb_btn {cursorointer;border:1px solid #555;padding:3px} .tb_highlight{background-color:yellow} .tb_hide {visibility:hidden} .ws_toolbar img {padding:2px;margin:0px}
Thank you for the information. The reason I asked this question was because a lot of courses on various university websites just state 'One Year' or 'One Academic Year' and some do not provide start dates either!
University of East Anglia PG Student Rep: Lia
Badges: 5
Rep:
Report 6 months ago
Hi there,

This is a great question- I started my masters course this year and was confused myself so emailed the admissions team at my university to double check before starting! I am taking a 1 year masters course in Marketing and Management at the University of East Anglia. My course started late September and I have been told it will 'technically' finish early September next year, however the last of my deadlines will be late-August so providing I don't need any extensions I should finish in August.

My masters course involves 3 taught semesters, but for courses that involve a dissertation in the third semester, I think your course is pretty much done after you submit your dissertation (other than a presentation a few weeks after), so you could finish slightly earlier if you submit early.

Hope that helps!
Lia
Marketing and Management MSc at UEA
Kingston University
Badges: 17
Rep:
Report 6 months ago
Hello

I am doing my Master in Clinical Applications of Psychology at Kingston University and I started my master at the beginning of October and I will be finishing it in September.

I have lectures twice a week and then I do my placement once a week. I believe we will have lectures until April and after that I will just be writing my dissertation.

I know it varies depending on the university and course. For example, I wanted to do a Master in Art Therapy that last 2 years. So that can vary.

I hope that helped!
Best wishes
Andrea
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your AQA GCSE English Language Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (78)
18.89%
The paper was reasonable (154)
37.29%
Not feeling great about that exam... (117)
28.33%
It was TERRIBLE (64)
15.5%

Watched Threads