The Student Room Group

TSA missed deadline

I have missed my TSA entry deadline as I did not know that it ends at the same time as the Oxford application, not to be bitter but I did not receive any information from my college and somehow I managed to miss this detail of the application on the Oxford website. I have rung them but they said that I have no chance of actually sitting the TSA, yet there is a chance they might shortlist me at the discretion of the college and offer me an interview. I'm feeling very unhopeful due to the current circumstances. Does anyone have any advice, and has anyone else been in this position?
(edited 2 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
It's tough but you have to face that your chances of getting an interview are incredibly low. When they say that they might shortlist applicants that missed the deadline, it's usually because of mitigating circumstances that make applying much harder than it is (like family bereavements etc.) Based on your post, I don't think they will choose to do that.
Use it as a lesson to try and not miss deadlines. Even if you felt that the college didn't remind you when they should've, they quite literally did when you got your email of acknowledgement from the university, and it also tells you on UCAS when you send your application.
I think it's best to start seeing your other choices as being realistic now - and who knows? Maybe you'll realise that they suit you more than Oxford would've?
Reply 2
Original post by garysxg
It's tough but you have to face that your chances of getting an interview are incredibly low. When they say that they might shortlist applicants that missed the deadline, it's usually because of mitigating circumstances that make applying much harder than it is (like family bereavements etc.) Based on your post, I don't think they will choose to do that.
Use it as a lesson to try and not miss deadlines. Even if you felt that the college didn't remind you when they should've, they quite literally did when you got your email of acknowledgement from the university, and it also tells you on UCAS when you send your application.
I think it's best to start seeing your other choices as being realistic now - and who knows? Maybe you'll realise that they suit you more than Oxford would've?

I have received my acknowledgement from oxford that they have received my application on the 16th of October, so 24 hours after the deadline passed. And again I do not know how I managed to miss the deadline for TSA when applying and how it was never brought up by anyone in the application process. I am quite sad but I guess I just have to live with this mistake that could have been so easily avoided.
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by BigBadger51
I have received my acknowledgement from oxford that they have received my application on the 16th of October, so 24 hours after the deadline passed. And again I do not know how I managed to miss the deadline for TSA when applying and how it was never brought up by anyone in the application process. I am quite sad but I guess I just have to live with this mistake that could have been so easily avoided.

https://www.ox.ac.uk/admissions/undergraduate/applying-to-oxford/guide/admissions-tests/tsa

You've seen this?
Reply 4

I have seen it today when my local test centre informed me that the deadline has passed for the TSA after I had previously emailed them.
I have seen it today when my local test centre informed me that the deadline has passed for the TSA after I had previously emailed them.

Didn't your referee remind you?
Reply 6
Original post by Muttley79
Didn't your referee remind you?

I was never told you see, my referee fell sick for the last week when the application was due and not only that I was never told about the deadline. I knew I had to sit the TSA for my course but no one told me when the deadline was and the steps I must take to ensure I sat the TSA, I looked everything up and followed the steps by finding an examination centre for the TSA which is in 2 weeks from today, but I was just a little bit late. And today I was for the first time informed that the deadline for the TSA was the same as the application to Oxford. Currently, I have called the Oxford college I am applying to about this, I have also messaged Oxford and they said that in this case, they will just have to review my application without the TSA score, which at this point why even bother because without a TSA score the best they can do is shortlist you. I have let the higher-ups in my school know about this and I will just have to see if they can do anything about this, and if they can't then I am in the hands of fate on whether or not I will be shortlisted at least.
(edited 2 years ago)
I was never told you see, my referee fell sick for the last week when the application was due and not only that I was never told about the deadline. I knew I had to sit the TSA for my course but no one told me when the deadline was and the steps I must take to ensure I sat the TSA, I looked everything up and followed the steps by finding an examination centre for the TSA which is in 2 weeks from today, but I was just a little bit late. And today I was for the first time informed that the deadline for the TSA was the same as the application to Oxford. Currently, I have called the Oxford college I am applying to about this, I have also messaged Oxford and they said that in this case, they will just have to review my application without the TSA score, which at this point why even bother because without a TSA score the best they can do is shortlist you. I have let the higher-ups in my school know about this and I will just have to see if they can do anything about this, and if they can't then I am in the hands of fate on whether or not I will be shortlisted at least.

Unfortunately I think Oxford would expect you to research this yourself.
Reply 8
Unfortunately I think Oxford would expect you to research this yourself.

I did research it myself, but I did it too late as I was never told what the deadline was. I researched it as soon as I could because I also have countless homeworks, projects, tests and presentations to take care of for school on the side of the UCAS application, I can't possibly do everything by myself. It is granted that something so small that you don't even think about will slip by undetected as I did not even know what the formalities were for the TSA. And I think that this is very unfair because for some people at other schools the school itself gets in tough with the examination centre weeks in advance of the deadline, I was never even told when the deadline was. And my point is that I don't mind doing everything by myself but sometimes you need someone that knows the jibe of things to guide you through such situations.
I did research it myself, but I did it too late as I was never told what the deadline was. I researched it as soon as I could because I also have countless homeworks, projects, tests and presentations to take care of for school on the side of the UCAS application, I can't possibly do everything by myself. It is granted that something so small that you don't even think about will slip by undetected as I did not even know what the formalities were for the TSA. And I think that this is very unfair because for some people at other schools the school itself gets in tough with the examination centre weeks in advance of the deadline, I was never even told when the deadline was. And my point is that I don't mind doing everything by myself but sometimes you need someone that knows the jibe of things to guide you through such situations.

i hate to say it but you're not the only one with homework, projects, tests and presentations. that's gonna be everyone else who's applying to oxbridge and if you get lost among all of that they will assume that you wouldn't enjoy oxford anyways . im really sorry about you're situation, but remember that oxbridge isnt everything

I understand your frustration and I know how overwhelming applications can be. However the TSA/admission test is an important component of your application and I don't think the uni will be forgiving of your lack of research, seeing as it is usually indicated on their website (for instance for PPE it said several times that you needed proof of registration for the exam when you applied). You can try to appeal but unless you manage to show some really convincing circumstances explaining why you didn't register they will probably not be lenient...
Original post by hello17375
i hate to say it but you're not the only one with homework, projects, tests and presentations. that's gonna be everyone else who's applying to oxbridge and if you get lost among all of that they will assume that you wouldn't enjoy oxford anyways . im really sorry about you're situation, but remember that oxbridge isnt everything

No, I know but I can't help the thought that I have the grades to get in, but such a small and easy thing like the TSA would screw me over. And most of all it is the circumstances because there are 2 more weeks until the TSA and all they have to do is to enter me in for it because it is only a 90-minute online test on your logic. And I do not get lost amongst my schoolwork but I say it again, this detail that is the TSA deadline of the application process just slipped by me because I simply did not run across it in my research and the thought of such a deadline never even crossed my mind. And let me ask you if I may, what school do you go to?
(edited 2 years ago)

It's on the weblink I posted and you'll need to either go elsewhere or take a gap year. What was/is it about the course that is unique?

Actually everyone will have done 'everything for themself' .... any test deadlines are for students to deal with.
It's on the weblink I posted and you'll need to either go elsewhere or take a gap year. What was/is it about the course that is unique?

Actually everyone will have done 'everything for themself' .... any test deadlines are for students to deal with.

Yes, but when doing a test or some form of work you are told the deadline. I was not. That is the problem. I am not saying that I am partially not at fault here, but I believe that I did everything I could last week with the information that I was provided. There isn't really anything about the course but more about the institution because it costs the same as any other university, I believe I have the opportunity to get in, so why shouldn't I? It just gives you more prospects in life, in my opinion.
Yes, but when doing a test or some form of work you are told the deadline. I was not. That is the problem. I am not saying that I am partially not at fault here, but I believe that I did everything I could last week with the information that I was provided. There isn't really anything about the course but more about the institution because it costs the same as any other university, I believe I have the opportunity to get in, so why shouldn't I? It just gives you more prospects in life, in my opinion.

The deadline is clear on the website - if you knew about the test surely you researched it?

Oxbridge is not always the best for every degree .. what degree have you applied for?
No, I know but I can't help the thought that I have the grades to get in, but such a small and easy thing like the TSA would screw me over. And most of all it is the circumstances because there are 2 more weeks until the TSA and all they have to do is to enter me in for it because it is only a 90-minute online test on your logic. And I do not get lost amongst my schoolwork but I say it again, this detail that is the TSA deadline of the application process just slipped by me because I simply did not run across it in my research and the thought of such a deadline never even crossed my mind. And let me ask you if I may, what school do you go to?

yeah i would be horribly frustrated if that happened to me, i get you there. im not gonna say what school i go to on a public thing lmfao but why do you ask?
yeah i would be horribly frustrated if that happened to me, i get you there. im not gonna say what school i go to on a public thing lmfao but why do you ask?

I was just curious if you guys applied or go to oxbridge.
I was just curious if you guys applied or go to oxbridge.

oh yeah i've applied to oxford
oh yeah i've applied to oxford

Did you apply for 2022?
Did you apply for 2022?

yep

Quick Reply

Latest