frankanye
Badges: 2
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
In s5 I got 6 As at Higher in Admin, Chemistry, English, Human Bio, Maths and Modern studies.

This year im study AH modies, H sociology, H media and H politics

I am regretting not doing another 1 or 2 Advanced Highers in bio or English. Will my options this year reduce my changes of getting into a Scottish Uni where the entry requirements are 4 Highers at A for a psychology degree?
GabiAbi84
Badges: 21
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 month ago
You already have 6 highers at As, and the entry requirements are 4 highers at A?
NellyCormack04
Badges: 13
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
Nah you'll be fine you've got good grades with the 6 As's plus the ones you are doing this year just tops that off really. Most unis aren't that bothered about adv highers so I reckon you'll be fine just make your personal statement strong to give yourself the best chance. Where are you looking at going?
justlearning1469
Badges: 17
Rep:
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by GabiAbi84)
You already have 6 highers at As, and the entry requirements are 4 highers at A?
The OP should've gone directly to university from S5.
English degrees are 3 years because they're after A-levels, which are a step above Highers.
Scottish degrees are 4 years because they don't have the A2 equivalent.

So basically starting university at S6 from first year is one year behind.
justlearning1469
Rep:
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by NellyCormack04)
Nah you'll be fine you've got good grades with the 6 As's plus the ones you are doing this year just tops that off really. Most unis aren't that bothered about adv highers so I reckon you'll be fine just make your personal statement strong to give yourself the best chance. Where are you looking at going?
Probably Edinburgh University considering the OP's stats.
And considering the OP, maybe the OP should've gotten directly to university from S5.
GabiAbi84
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by justlearning1469)
English degrees are 3 years because they're after A-levels, which are a step above Highers.

Not really that black and white tbh.
BlackLab
Badges: 14
Rep:
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by justlearning1469)

I am in S6 and some of my friends haven't turned 17 yet! So while it is possible to have the entry requirements and start Uni straight from S5 many pupils are simply not mature enough to successfully start Uni at 16.
justlearning1469
Rep:
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by BlackLab)
I am in S6 and some of my friends haven't turned 17 yet! So while it is possible to have the entry requirements and start Uni straight from S5 many pupils are simply not mature enough to successfully start Uni at 16.
'many pupils are simply not mature enough to successfully start Uni at 16.'
From Chapter 9 in A Nation Deceived, Volume 1 (http://www.accelerationinstitute.org...ived/ND_v1.pdf)
“Clearly, the research on groups of early entrants, whether they were regularly admitted college students or participants in an early college program, strongly suggests that many of them were highly successful academically without experiencing social or emotional difficulties,” says Stanley.
"Despite some difficulties with being younger, such as not being of legal driving age until a year or two later than classmates, the vast majority of early entrants to college are happy with their experiences."

So these so-called 'maturity difficulties' are overblown.

Plus there are other benefits to starting university early:
"By accelerating, early entrants to college can enter professional life earlier. For some people, that extra time can make balancing family and job obligations a little easier. Getting a head start can also mean an opportunity to explore personal interests. Many accelerated students who finish college at twenty can work abroad, take a temporary job outside their usual field, have time to play, and still be on track with their careers."
"Studies have shown that students who are accelerated tend to aspire to careers requiring an education beyond a bachelor’s degree at higher rates than students who haven’t been accelerated."
"Acceleration is a gift of time. For the child, skipping one year means one-twelfth of his or her time in school has not been wasted. If a child skips two years, that’s a full one-sixth of his or her educational career that is spent learning rather than marking time."

Meanwhile the UK government keeps slamming acceleration despite evidence to the contrary!
At least I am smart enough to realise that this dogma is incorrect.
Which isn't that many people, frankly.
Last edited by justlearning1469; 3 weeks ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Would you give consent for uni's to contact your parent/trusted person in a mental health crisis?

Yes - my parent/carer (136)
33.66%
Yes - a trusted person (107)
26.49%
No (109)
26.98%
I'm not sure (52)
12.87%

Watched Threads