abovethecl0uds
Badges: 11
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
i'm not sure how to approach this question.
any help would be appreciated!
Name:  Screenshot_20211021-170003_Teams.jpg
Views: 17
Size:  31.0 KB
Last edited by abovethecl0uds; 1 month ago
mqb2766
Badges: 19
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by abovethecl0uds)
i'm not sure how to approach this question.
any help would be appreciated!
Name:  Screenshot_20211021-170003_Teams.jpg
Views: 17
Size:  31.0 KB
The area obviously depends on x and y, and you should be able to get an equation for how x and y are related.
So get the area as a function of x and differentiate to find the maximum.

Note there may be simpler ways of doing this, but youve posed it as a calculus problem.
abovethecl0uds
Rep:
(Original post by mqb2766)
The area obviously depends on x and y, and you should be able to get an equation for how x and y are related.
So get the area as a function of x and differentiate to find the maximum.

Note there may be simpler ways of doing this, but youve posed it as a calculus problem.
oh i see!
this is what i've done. i'd be grateful if you could check if it's correct
Name:  20211021_172928.jpg
Views: 14
Size:  127.6 KB
mqb2766
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
oh i see!
this is what i've done. i'd be grateful if you could check if it's correct
Name:  20211021_172928.jpg
Views: 14
Size:  127.6 KB
Id guess the answer is a square, so that looks ok.

Note to keep the numbers a bit simpler, by symmetry, you could just have considered the problem in one quadrant.

Also, Id leave the pythagoras relationship as a quadratic and possibly maximize A^2. Would make the numbers a bit easier.
Last edited by mqb2766; 1 month ago
abovethecl0uds
Rep:
Id guess the answer is a square, so that looks ok.

Note to keep the numbers a bit simpler, by symmetry, you could just have considered the problem in one quadrant.

Also, Id leave the pythagoras relationship as a quadratic and possibly maximize A^2. Would make the numbers a bit easier.
that's so smart! i didn't realise the area of the rectangle in the circle must be at its maximum when all sides are equal in length eg) when it's a square.

i'm not quite sure what you mean by this though?
'Also, Id leave the pythagoras relationship as a quadratic and possibly maximize A^2.'
mqb2766
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
that's so smart! i didn't realise the area of the rectangle in the circle must be at its maximum when all sides are equal in length eg) when it's a square.

i'm not quite sure what you mean by this though?
'Also, Id leave the pythagoras relationship as a quadratic and possibly maximize A^2.'
In the positive quadrant so a 1/4 of the original rectangle
A^2 = x^2(100-x^2)
Which is trivially maximized when x^2=50 (even without calculus) as its 1/2 way between the 2 roots of the quadratic in x^2.
Last edited by mqb2766; 1 month ago
abovethecl0uds
Rep:
In the positive quadrant so a 1/4 of the original rectangle
A^2 = x^2(100-x^2)
Which is trivially maximized when x^2=50 (even without calculus) as its 1/2 way between the 2 roots of the quadratic in x^2.
ah i see thanks so much for explaining!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How would you describe the quality of the digital skills you're taught at school?

Excellent (35)
9.92%
Okay (104)
29.46%
A bit lacking (129)
36.54%
Not good at all (85)
24.08%

Watched Threads