GCSE grades in Oxford application for 2022 entry

Watch
Brandon Reed
Badges: 8
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Hey all! I've applied to read physics at St John's College Oxford, and I had a doubt when I was going through the admission procedure listed on the site. It says that due to 2020 GCSEs being teacher assessed, they will not be used for the shortlisting process. I however did CBSE 10th grade (Indian equivalent of UK's GCSEs) and got to sit my exams and got individual marks on all 5 papers. Will my marks not be considered at all so as to not disadvantage other students who dont get to use their GCSEs or will my marks be used due to them being "actual"and not TAGs? Any info about this is greatly appreciated, and I'd like to know which part of Oxford I should be contacting to get more info in the future thanks!
welphelp
Badges: 1
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 month ago
I don't know that they are not considering GCSEs - they are taking them into account, though together with the fact that GCSE grades were issued in extraordinary "difficult (as they say)" circumstances. See Oxford's site's dedicated section on this.
Given that Oxford is taking into account GCSE grades, I do not see any reason they won't consider your CBSE grades - but please note I know this merely because I've looked it up and that I am not affiliated to the Oxford uni admissions in any way.
Brandon Reed
Badges: 8
Rep:
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
(Original post by welphelp)
I don't know that they are not considering GCSEs - they are taking them into account, though together with the fact that GCSE grades were issued in extraordinary "difficult (as they say)" circumstances. See Oxford's site's dedicated section on this.
Given that Oxford is taking into account GCSE grades, I do not see any reason they won't consider your CBSE grades - but please note I know this merely because I've looked it up and that I am not affiliated to the Oxford uni admissions in any way.
Hey! Thanks for replying, I didn't read that section before so it's relieving to know that oxford may still consider it! However the Physics department specifies that GCSE grades will not be used for interview shortlisting, so I wanted to know if I will be missing out on a genuine advantage that I might have
to quote the website:
In 2021 the primary shortlisting criterion is the PAT score (out of 100), interpreted in the light of contextual data about candidates.

In previous years a contextual GCSE (cGCSE) score was also used, based on the number of standard deviations the applicant is away from their ‘expected’ number of A*/9/8 grades. This will not be used in 2021 due to the particular Covid-induced circumstances of how GCSE grades were awarded in summer 2020.

For 2021 it will remain the case that excellent performance on the PAT will result in automatic shortlisting for interview.
https://www.physics.ox.ac.uk/study/u...hysics-courses
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How would you describe the quality of the digital skills you're taught at school?

Excellent (20)
8.77%
Okay (66)
28.95%
A bit lacking (85)
37.28%
Not good at all (57)
25%

Watched Threads