ouiouimerci
Badges: 7
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
The personal statement is so much pressure... I consistently struggle with how I structure mine, the most recent being what could only be described as the story of my sad life mixed with a critique of one of my further readings. I also keep on panicking because I've only read 2 books relevant to Materials Science, which I haven't even finished, and I'm even more worried qualification wise as I'm not a prefect or headboy or whatever.......... I just really need a grip. Any tips?
s.hannon
Badges: 6
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 month ago
hiya this website explains a great way to structure you personal statement as well as what to write in it https://www.ucas.com/undergraduate/a...onal-statement

i would also recommend going onto the websites of the universities you would like to apply to and read what they look for in a personal statement.

and don't worry if you can't write much a lot of universities are more interested in the your a level subjects, what skills you have and how they contribute to your course, you hobbies and interests, why you are interested in the subject you are choosing and the roles you took on in school. they don't expect you to have lots of experience in that subject as you are able to do work experience or placement during your studying. <3
ouiouimerci
Rep:
(Original post by nehapartha)
take it step by step. I know how you feel. just first take a blank doc and note down everything you want to speak about (accomplishments, activities, trips, discussions or books or topics that interested you in classes...anything relevant to your degree). You're trying to portray yourself positively as a candidate they want to admit so make sure you know what they're looking for so you can adapt the stuff you did it match with that. Separate each of your points into different paragraphs (one for why you want to study this, what motivated you, one for your skills and talents that don't have to be defined by awards or positions, one for all the ways you're invested in this subject such as those books you've read and so on). It's a process of reading and re-reading and changing all the time but that's what really polishes it! Good luck.
noted... thank you!
ouiouimerci
Rep:
(Original post by s.hannon)
hiya this website explains a great way to structure you personal statement as well as what to write in it https://www.ucas.com/undergraduate/a...onal-statement

i would also recommend going onto the websites of the universities you would like to apply to and read what they look for in a personal statement.

and don't worry if you can't write much a lot of universities are more interested in the your a level subjects, what skills you have and how they contribute to your course, you hobbies and interests, why you are interested in the subject you are choosing and the roles you took on in school. they don't expect you to have lots of experience in that subject as you are able to do work experience or placement during your studying. <3
do you think it would be worth putting roles or accomplishments from secondary school as well, or not?
McGinger
Badges: 17
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
Short film, with a useful online guide mentioned at the end that has lots of PS examples with what is good/bad about them : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JF5-vnhZRx8
s.hannon
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by ouiouimerci)
do you think it would be worth putting roles or accomplishments from secondary school as well, or not?
of course! these roles you have taken will show a number of things like responsibility and organisation as well as the dedication you have to your school
ouiouimerci
Rep:
of course! these roles you have taken will show a number of things like responsibility and organisation as well as the dedication you have to your school
okayyyy, you make a fair point
s.hannon
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
okayyyy, you make a fair point
I hope you're personal statement goes well! If you still need help there are some great templates and examples out there and you can always speak to your teachers
ouiouimerci
Rep:
I hope you're personal statement goes well! If you still need help there are some great templates and examples out there and you can always speak to your teachers
thank youuu
PQ
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
Not normally. They’re not really related to why you want to study materials science and which topics within materials science you have enjoyed finding out about and what you are looking forward to studying in more detail.

Admissions staff are looking at your PS to answer 3 questions:
1) does the applicant demonstrate an understanding of what the degree applied for involves?
2) does the applicant demonstrate enough enthusiasm and motivation for the subject to get through 3+ years of study?
3) (for vocational courses only - materials science isn’t one of these) does the applicant demonstrate any non-academic skills required to succeed on the course?

Your PS isn’t an academic essay or a book review - you aren’t critiquing what you have read or found out about your chosen degree. You are talking about your personal reactions to what you have read and learned and listened to. What surprised you, what did you enjoy, what was challenging to understand and what did you do to figure it out etc etc.
ouiouimerci
Rep:
(Original post by PQ)
Not normally. They’re not really related to why you want to study materials science and which topics within materials science you have enjoyed finding out about and what you are looking forward to studying in more detail.

Admissions staff are looking at your PS to answer 3 questions:
1) does the applicant demonstrate an understanding of what the degree applied for involves?
2) does the applicant demonstrate enough enthusiasm and motivation for the subject to get through 3+ years of study?
3) (for vocational courses only - materials science isn’t one of these) does the applicant demonstrate any non-academic skills required to succeed on the course?

Your PS isn’t an academic essay or a book review - you aren’t critiquing what you have read or found out about your chosen degree. You are talking about your personal reactions to what you have read and learned and listened to. What surprised you, what did you enjoy, what was challenging to understand and what did you do to figure it out etc etc.
I guess you make a fair point. I'll ditch the critique for some more opinionated content then. Thank you!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What do you find most difficult about revising?

Prioritising what to revise (15)
9.87%
Remembering what was covered in lessons (3)
1.97%
Finding the time to revise (10)
6.58%
Finding the motivation (43)
28.29%
Getting distracted (24)
15.79%
Procrastination (56)
36.84%
Having the tools you need (0)
0%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (1)
0.66%

Watched Threads