The Student Room Group

Exam fees

Im trying to enter into exams as a private candidate in Manchester and 3 local exam centres are charging me around £2000-2400 for 3 A levels altogether for Edexcel Maths & Further Maths and AQA Physics + Practical. Is this normal?
Original post by zeroeight
Im trying to enter into exams as a private candidate in Manchester and 3 local exam centres are charging me around £2000-2400 for 3 A levels altogether for Edexcel Maths & Further Maths and AQA Physics + Practical. Is this normal?ii

i mean if you are happy with that go for it but that's way too expensive Bruh you could find better than that for sure. And depends on how many hours and how many days a week you do. just find some where.
Reply 2
Taking a Science including the practicals is very expensive. Do you need a pass in the practicals? Not taking them could save you over £500
Reply 3
Original post by EOData
Taking a Science including the practicals is very expensive. Do you need a pass in the practicals? Not taking them could save you over £500

Yeah unfortunately my uni course states its a requirement. I understand the practicals being expensive but having to pay 400-500 for each subject is sad. Cant even look around for other options either since half term break has begun for most colleges.
Reply 4
Yeah unfortunately my uni course states its a requirement. I understand the practicals being expensive but having to pay 400-500 for each subject is sad. Cant even look around for other options either since half term break has begun for most colleges.

Centres don't get the software to make entries until mid November so many won't discuss next Summer's entries yet anyway.
The exam centre that my kids are taking their I/GCSEs at, shows on the fees list the following:

A Level Maths : £401
A Level Further Maths : £520
A Level Physics Exam Entry & CPAP : £1,325 OR A Level Physics Exam Entry, Tx'd to Alt Centre & CPAP : £1,559 (not sure which of these two options you'd need)

So yes you've been quoted correctly.
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 6
Original post by PinkMobilePhone
The exam centre that my kids are taking their I/GCSEs at, shows on the fees list the following:

A Level Maths : £401
A Level Further Maths : £520
A Level Physics Exam Entry & CPAP : £1,325 OR A Level Physics Exam Entry, Tx'd to Alt Centre & CPAP : £1,559 (not sure which of these two options you'd need)

So yes you've been quoted correctly.

I actually remember these exact prices, is this by the website TutorandExams? Also i saw that Tx'd option, not sure what that even means though.

Yeah the prices are crazy but the thing is, the practicals does not even need to be that expensive this year. As for 2022 exams, the government has said we no longer need to take all 12 required practicals (or however many for your examboard) but instead, the minimim number of practicals to demonstrate all areas of the assessment criteria once. Which means you could probably only do a few and pass the practical endorsement. So its kinda annoying we gotta still pay the full price of like £900 or something to do all the required practicals.
I actually remember these exact prices, is this by the website TutorandExams? Also i saw that Tx'd option, not sure what that even means though.

Yeah the prices are crazy but the thing is, the practicals does not even need to be that expensive this year. As for 2022 exams, the government has said we no longer need to take all 12 required practicals (or however many for your examboard) but instead, the minimim number of practicals to demonstrate all areas of the assessment criteria once. Which means you could probably only do a few and pass the practical endorsement. So its kinda annoying we gotta still pay the full price of like £900 or something to do all the required practicals.

Yeah that's the one, we're using Tutors & Exams (Doncaster Centre). Thankfully I/GCSEs aren't as expensive as the A Levels.
I feel bad for you - I agree it's a ludicrous amount to fork out.
Reply 8
Also i saw that Tx'd option, not sure what that even means though.

You have to be entered for the full A level (exams plus practicals) at a single exam centre but it's possible to transfer the exams to another centre. These transfers are most often done when a distance learning provider enters a candidate for subjects with non examination assessment but the exams are then transferred to an exam centre close to where the candidate lives. In this case (I've not looked at the details) maybe you can take the practicals as an intensive course but then want to transfer the exams to take them at a centre nearer you where you are taking other subjects.

Quick Reply

Latest