help... need advice on first car Watch

This discussion is closed.
XlaurenX
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 14 years ago
hey, i just passed my driving test a few days ago and im considering buying a car... not sure what to get though... any suggestions? i am on a fairly low budget so... please help!
ladyshort4u
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
old school cleos are always nice and cheap! for a girl they are good 2!

also i like puntos - old school off course will be somewhat cheap

tell me what exactly your budget is and maybe i can help you out some more!

love ladyshort
XlaurenX
Rep:
?
well, i have about 1800 in the bank to buy a car with AND insure it... i really just want a little run-around just coz if i dont drive, i will have to stay at home and become increasingly boring and lacking in social life! :hmpf:
ladyshort4u
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by XlaurenX)
well, i have about 1800 in the bank to buy a car with AND insure it... i really just want a little run-around just coz if i dont drive, i will have to stay at home and become increasingly boring and lacking in social life! :hmpf:
okkkk also how old are u coz that will depend on how expensive your insurance will be....
XlaurenX
Rep:
?
i'll be 18 in a few weeks
nikk
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
After insurance that probably leaves you about £600 for a car then....
Dyakson
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Where you live is a factor. Cars are more expensive in London than further afield - try looking for cars away from London.
XlaurenX
Rep:
?
kool thank u, i live in egham (surrey) so its not too near london
ladyshort4u
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by NikNak)
After insurance that probably leaves you about £600 for a car then....
not necesserily - my friend is 18 and he got his car insurance for 850 pounds for the year with his little fiesta! it also depends on what car she has to insure....as i said old school cleos are always very cheap
Dyakson
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by ladyshort4u)
not necesserily - my friend is 18 and he got his car insurance for 850 pounds for the year with his little fiesta! it also depends on what car she has to insure....as i said old school cleos are always very cheap
I wonder (against all hope) if insurance companies will tell you which car is the cheapest to insure? They have the statistics of how many crashes and claims people of type xyz have had in each type of car, which is what they base the premiums on - if they were nice they might tell you...

Hmm, or maybe they wouldn't...
frost105
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Get a car built by the japanese (The most reliable cars around) and stay away from anything built in france. The most reliable cars around. Try getting some insurance quotes from companies and remember that it is likely that within the year you will need to get an mot and get it taxed.
john williams
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Im currently looking to get a second hand (maybe 4/5 yr old) Ford KA (yes i know its a girls car. lol) and the cheapest quote i have so far got is £1400 with Tesco car insurance and thats only 3rd party..so it looks like i wont be getting a car.

btw the car is only worth £1200.
ladyshort4u
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
http://fish4.co.uk/cars/search/searc...tlocations.jsp

check that site out!!

love ladyshort
frost105
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Autotrader is also really good.
frost105
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by john williams)
Im currently looking to get a second hand (maybe 4/5 yr old) Ford KA (yes i know its a girls car. lol) and the cheapest quote i have so far got is £1400 with Tesco car insurance and thats only 3rd party..so it looks like i wont be getting a car.

btw the car is only worth £1200.
Your better off getting a £400 L/M reg then and having a cheaper quote and working on your no claims
Dyakson
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
French cars have a tendency to bend when you lean on them, is that right? I've not got much experience of them. British cars will rust, American cars are uneconomical, Japanese cars are ugly, German cars are expensive, Swedish cars have annoying features like sidelights that won't turn off, and expensive spare parts, Eastern European cars will impale you on pointy bits of dashboard when you crash. Is that generally correct?
frost105
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Dr_Death)
French cars have a tendency to bend when you lean on them, is that right? I've not got much experience of them. British cars will rust, American cars are uneconomical, Japanese cars are ugly, German cars are expensive, Swedish cars have annoying features like sidelights that won't turn off, and expensive spare parts, Eastern European cars will impale you on pointy bits of dashboard when you crash. Is that generally correct?
Yep!

The best cars on the market at the moment are japanese though apparently the new Yaris is being built in france and pales in comparison to the older versions.
Dyakson
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by frost105)
Yep!

The best cars on the market at the moment are japanese though apparently the new Yaris is being built in france and pales in comparison to the older versions.
The best cars on the market - are 30-year-old Landrovers with gearboxes full of spanners and old nails and no seat cushions.
frost105
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Dr_Death)
The best cars on the market - are 30-year-old Landrovers with gearboxes full of spanners and old nails and no seat cushions.
Mmmm comfy!!!

Bet it still costs a bomb to get insured on them!
Dyakson
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by frost105)
Mmmm comfy!!!

Bet it still costs a bomb to get insured on them!
Insured?

No, just drive them around the gliding field, towing cables from the winch, to launch gliders into the air. No tax/insurance...
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

Remain (1409)
79.65%
Leave (360)
20.35%

Watched Threads