What is a good university application alternative to DofE?

Watch
rose.clm
Badges: 10
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I would like to have a strong uni application, but I really don't want to do DofE, I just feel like it's not for me and that I would really hate it. I'm going to start volunteering in a charity shop local to me, but I don't know what else I could do similar to qualifications like DofE that would help me get into a good university. Does anyone have any advice?
rose.clm
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
BUMP
Glemon
Badges: 14
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
HPQ?
lemonadetea
Badges: 16
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
DofE isn’t essential for a uni application and most top unis don’t care much about it anyway and would rather your skills were more academically focussed.

I don’t know of qualifications which provide all the elements of DofE in one package however you could certainly look at doing the different skills of it - for example maybe do a LAMDA exam as a skill in group work and self-confidence which you can relate back to your degree subject in your personal statement
rose.clm
Rep:
(Original post by Glemon)
HPQ?
they don't do that in scotland sadly
rose.clm
Rep:
(Original post by lemonadetea)
DofE isn’t essential for a uni application and most top unis don’t care much about it anyway and would rather your skills were more academically focussed.

I don’t know of qualifications which provide all the elements of DofE in one package however you could certainly look at doing the different skills of it - for example maybe do a LAMDA exam as a skill in group work and self-confidence which you can relate back to your degree subject in your personal statement
thank you that sounds like a good idea!
Muttley79
Badges: 20
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by rose.clm)
thank you that sounds like a good idea!
Do you play an instrument or a sport? You are better choosing interests than doing D of E...
Glemon
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
they don't do that in scotland sadly
:mad:
rose.clm
Rep:
(Original post by Muttley79)
Do you play an instrument or a sport? You are better choosing interests than doing D of E...
not really, i'm more academic than musical or sporty. i'd like to be able to put my passion for school subjects into something other than exams but i'm not sure how i'd do that.
Muttley79
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
not really, i'm more academic than musical or sporty. i'd like to be able to put my passion for school subjects into something other than exams but i'm not sure how i'd do that.
Does your school run help sessions? Our students help with these at lunchtime
rose.clm
Rep:
Does your school run help sessions? Our students help with these at lunchtime
no they're only ran by teachers. i'd like to get into maths tutoring next year to help younger students but there's no program for it at school so i'm not sure how i would.
Muttley79
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
no they're only ran by teachers. i'd like to get into maths tutoring next year to help younger students but there's no program for it at school so i'm not sure how i would.
Talk to your teachers to see if you could help. Another thing we do is some of our students go into local Primary schools to help.
rose.clm
Rep:
Talk to your teachers to see if you could help. Another thing we do is some of our students go into local Primary schools to help.
that's a really good idea. i'll definitely look into it, thank you!
nutz99
Badges: 19
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
My son did exactly that but in his free periods. He arranged with one of the teachers to come to that teachers lessons 2 to 3 times a week and sit with those kids who wanted to improve but simply weren’t picking things up. It benefited everyone. Maybe suggest it on a trial basis.
BlackLab
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
I am doing the DofE bronze this year and havent even mentioned it in my engineering PS as there are more relevant things to write about than walking 28km in the Scottish cold and p***ing rain 🥶🌧
rose.clm
Rep:
(Original post by nutz99)
My son did exactly that but in his free periods. He arranged with one of the teachers to come to that teachers lessons 2 to 3 times a week and sit with those kids who wanted to improve but simply weren’t picking things up. It benefited everyone. Maybe suggest it on a trial basis.
thank you!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How would you describe the quality of the digital skills you're taught at school?

Excellent (35)
9.72%
Okay (106)
29.44%
A bit lacking (132)
36.67%
Not good at all (87)
24.17%

Watched Threads