The Student Room Group

referencing

if a book has some sentences/ideas in it that are by another author (cited) and I want to use that do I cite and reference that specific author cited in the book or the book it was in (the book being written by other authors)? Sorry this might be a dumb question
Original post by Anonymous
if a book has some sentences/ideas in it that are by another author (cited) and I want to use that do I cite and reference that specific author cited in the book or the book it was in (the book being written by other authors)? Sorry this might be a dumb question

Hi!

I usually cite both. If you have multiple citations for something you usually get more marks for doing so, as you are showing that you have read around the subject.

I hope this helps!
Best wishes
Chloe - Oficial Student Rep :smile:

If you have found and read the original work containing the ideas (i.e. the cited work), then you can cite that directly. If you have only read about them in a book not by the original authors, you must only cite the book you've read.

Secondary references ( e.g. Smith, 1990, in Jones & Jones 2005) aren't great, so ideally you'd find the original work if it's still in print/available. If it's not available, then a secondary citation is fine.
Reply 3
Original post by University of Portsmouth Student Rep
Hi!

I usually cite both. If you have multiple citations for something you usually get more marks for doing so, as you are showing that you have read around the subject.

This would be very odd indeed, especially if you have 'read' the original only in a citation elsewhere. I am doubtful that this will get you 'more marks' - this has not been the case at the 4 institutions for whom I have done work. You are of course welcome to cite both (seems a waste of effort a lot of the time).

OP: You can do it either way. I might reference the original if I have a copy to hand to check its context and if I do not otherwise plan on citing the book or article in which I have found it

But you can save time and effort do a secondary/indirect citation which looks like this.
(edited 2 years ago)

Hi there!

I would reference the original source i.e. the author which the book cites, since this is the original source of the idea/point which you are making, however you should ideally at least take a look at this source, even if its just reading the abstract and/or skimming over the article. This way you make sure that the source is definitely relevant to the point you are making :smile:

I hope this is useful!

Malachy - University of Liverpool Student Rep

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending