The Student Room Group

Computer Science Project NEA

For anyone who has done A Level Computing/ Computer Science, in particular OCR but AQA should be fine, I heard that a big part of the final grade is determined by some sort of project. I am soon starting the second half of the first term in Year 12. I know it could be a bit too early to stress about, but I would like someone to give me some ideas or suggestions on how to make a project that would get me top marks. If you got very high marks for your project, I'd like to know what your project idea was and some tips on how to do well as I've heard there's more to it than just creating a program. I know this is a lot to take in but this is probably the best place I can come to and ask.
(edited 2 years ago)
I would say the best place to start would be to see what the exam board is looking for in a project. After a quick search I found some OCR guidance documents (https://www.ocr.org.uk/Images/170854-unit-h446-3-programming-project-sample-assessment-materials.pdf and https://www.ocr.org.uk/Images/170844-specification-accredited-a-level-gce-computer-science-h446.pdf) which you might find useful, they outline the basic requirements and might give a better idea of what direction to take with the project. OCR will mark off these criteria when the project is finished so it's important you are familiar with what they are actually looking for before you decide on a project. I also know from when I was doing my NEA that OCR uploads a number of exemplar projects which are definitely worth taking a look at, you can find them easily on Google.

My project was a simulation of the kinetic theory model and achieved an A*, though I would say that this was mostly because I used lots of advanced data structures (e.g trees), OOP, and other desirable techniques like recursion, documentation also plays a very important role in the project's outcome. Ultimately you should choose a project that you find interesting and has the scope to be able to show off lots of difficult skills that will get you lots of marks.

Since your only in Year 12 you shouldn't worry about it too much, you have a lot of time to think about it, I hope this helps!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending