caitlinmbass
Badges: 2
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
So I've just been rejected from Durham for my masters, and the only reason given is 'insufficient merit and potential demonstrated' and I'm absolutely broken.

The course was for history, and asked for a high 2:1, which I am predicted. I got consistent 2:1s throughout the past 2 years of the pandemic, I worked in a museum, and was president/secretary of two academic societies of my university.

What more do they actually want? What does this mean? I can't stop thinking about this. I've been accepted elsewhere almost instantly, only to get a kick in the self esteem from Durham. I've sobbed for an hour over this.
Last edited by caitlinmbass; 1 month ago
HousesInCork
Badges: 15
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 month ago
Can't speak for why you may have been rejected from Durham specifically, but it sounds like you're going to have at least one other good option for master's and I'm sure others to choose from too. I know rejection sucks but try to concentrate on the positives and don't let not getting into one course at one uni become too much of a dent on your self esteem. For now, focus on your studies and smash that 2:1, prove to yourself that you do indeed have academic merit and potential.
Admit-One
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by caitlinmbass)
So I've just been rejected from Durham for my masters, and the only reason given is 'insufficient merit and potential demonstrated' and I'm absolutely broken.

The course was for history, and asked for a high 2:1, which I am predicted. I got consistent 2:1s throughout the past 2 years of the pandemic, I worked in a museum, and was president/secretary of two academic societies of my university.

What more do they actually want? What does this mean? I can't stop thinking about this. I've been accepted elsewhere almost instantly, only to get a kick in the self esteem from Durham.
PG admissions can be a bit brutal, so don’t take it to heart. The rejection feedback sounds quite generic, so it just sounds as if you lost a few points overall to candidates either with a 1st or ridiculously polished personal statements. From my POV, (as a postgrad admissions coordinator), you sound very credible, so it’s likely that their pool of applicants is just so high that they can be very picky indeed. Again, not nice to hear, but hopefully the other offer(s) demonstrates that your hard work has paid off.
Fruity Girl
Badges: 12
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by caitlinmbass)

What more do they actually want? What does this mean? I can't stop thinking about this. I've been accepted elsewhere almost instantly, only to get a kick in the self esteem from Durham. I've sobbed for an hour over this.
I assume it will work a bit like undergraduate but less places so harder. So a course at Durham may say AAA as offer but the majority of the course accepted are A*A*A or above. They are top flight so the qualification guidance will be the minimum you need. Seriously don’t sweat it - sooo many good unis out there and you’ll love doing your masters at them!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Would you give consent for uni's to contact your parent/trusted person in a mental health crisis?

Yes - my parent/carer (106)
34.42%
Yes - a trusted person (88)
28.57%
No (81)
26.3%
I'm not sure (33)
10.71%

Watched Threads