Do barrister chambers/other employers accept a GDL?

Watch
BendoesTSR
Badges: 2
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Sorry I don’t know whether this is the right place to ask this question. But I’d quite like to be a commercial barrister, which of course I understand is a very competitive profession. At the same time, I’m considering doing a undergrad course in something else (most likely related to politics) and then potentially doing the GDL. Would this affect my chances of obtaining a pupilage?
leage_beagle
Badges: 9
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 month ago
Hi BendoesTSR, there are plenty of barristers - at the commercial bar and elsewhere - who have first degrees in other subjects. It will put you at no disadvantage whatsoever, and, if it enables you to study something you are passionate about, may mean you perform better. The commercial bar puts a premium on a very high standard of academic performance, so anything that helps in that department is good.

The only real downside is the additional cost - all one, GDL + livings costs and stretch into the high £20,000s depending on where you live and which university you choose. While the inns of court offer some funding, it is by no means guaranteed. But if the financial side is not an issue, then doing a first degree in another subject can be a great way in to law.
17Student17
Badges: 13
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
Yes. Look at the CVs of barristers in chambers where you might like to work, the younger newer barristers on the chambers' websites to see what they did. All their degree are given (for example look at the newest journalists at www.brickcourt.co.uk)
Crazy Jamie
Badges: 19
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
You've been given the answer already, but to put it in perspective it's still the case that around half of all those that secure pupillage did a non law degree first followed by the GDL. As has been said, there is no disadvantage to it at all, and in fact all things being equal (which I appreciate they're often not due to issues such as finances) I would advise people to study something different for their undergraduate degree if they have a specific interest in something else. There are plenty of potential benefits to it.
BendoesTSR
Badges: 2
Rep:
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
(Original post by leage_beagle)
Hi BendoesTSR, there are plenty of barristers - at the commercial bar and elsewhere - who have first degrees in other subjects. It will put you at no disadvantage whatsoever, and, if it enables you to study something you are passionate about, may mean you perform better. The commercial bar puts a premium on a very high standard of academic performance, so anything that helps in that department is good.

The only real downside is the additional cost - all one, GDL + livings costs and stretch into the high £20,000s depending on where you live and which university you choose. While the inns of court offer some funding, it is by no means guaranteed. But if the financial side is not an issue, then doing a first degree in another subject can be a great way in to law.
Thank you very much for your help
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How would you describe the quality of the digital skills you're taught at school?

Excellent (23)
9.24%
Okay (72)
28.92%
A bit lacking (93)
37.35%
Not good at all (61)
24.5%

Watched Threads