Essay due in a few days and I am panicking because all the work I've done is ****.

Watch
MilkDud2631
Badges: 3
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
So I've actually been working quite hard on my essay, I had a plan I though was quite good, I had a bunch of sources, etc. Today I had a meeting with someone on my course and they basically said all my sources are garbage and that I shouldn't use them. I am ****ing panicking, I can't find any new sources to reinforce my current arguaments, I don't have enough time to rewrite the whole thing, this essay is worth 45% of the class' grade. I'm a first year, I don't know all the rules. Online class is **** and I have barely learned anything, I've not talked to anyone on my course since its all online so I've had no one to discuss anything with, I honestly feel like killing myself right now this is way too much stress.
Foxehh
Badges: 21
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 month ago
Just a random other person in your course? They could've been projecting or just being an arse. Without thinking about what they said, how do you personally feel about the work you've done and the sources you have? If you were never proud of them to begin that's one thing, but it sounds like you were originally quite confident with it.
Course work is never worth getting yourself that distressed over. Take a break tonight if you can and come back to it with fresh eyes.
kaorimiyazono
Badges: 16
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
Did they say why they thought your sources were garbage? Are they a first year or someone older like an older student or a lecturer? If you worked hard on it and did your best then it should be fine. If the person gave you valid reasons which you genuinely agree with or they were a lecturer, try using Google scholar to find articles with key words from your essay. Or maybe you can get access to academic journals through your university as well to try there. You still have a few days left so ask about that and then try to find sources in the journals you have access to. If they were a first year who gave you no reasons as to why your sources were bad, then just ignore what they said and focus on refining your essay before you hand it in. You seemed to be happy with your work before meeting up with them so they may just have been trying to make you second-guess yourself. Remember that a bad grade won't ruin your life. You still have that 55% left of the class grade and you won't get 0 for this essay just because of your sources. You also have the rest of your degree to get better.

Also, make sure to sleep well too, ok? It'll help you focus better and is important for your health. (I know I'm not currently following that piece of advice but it's still important lol). Good luck! You've got this.
MilkDud2631
Rep:
(Original post by Foxehh)
Just a random other person in your course? They could've been projecting or just being an arse. Without thinking about what they said, how do you personally feel about the work you've done and the sources you have? If you were never proud of them to begin that's one thing, but it sounds like you were originally quite confident with it.
Course work is never worth getting yourself that distressed over. Take a break tonight if you can and come back to it with fresh eyes.
It wasn't another student on the course it was one of the tutorial heads.
MilkDud2631
Rep:
It wasn't another student on the course. I'm not exactly sure what their role is since they aren't a lecturer, but it was the person who takes the tutorials.
kaorimiyazono
Badges: 16
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by MilkDud2631)
It wasn't another student on the course. I'm not exactly sure what their role is since they aren't a lecturer, but it was the person who takes the tutorials.
Oh I see. Did they give you any guidance on why your sources weren't good and where to find new ones? Maybe try and access different journals through your uni or use jstor to try and help. I'm really sorry :/ *Sends virtual hug* I hope you manage to submit something you're happy with. Try not to stress too much though. Try to find some new sources to add to your essay but don't stress if you can't find as many as you would like. Just a few will do. As long as you're happy with the content and structure of what you've written- the sources aren't the most important part of an essay.

Good luck!
mittymoo
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
What are your sources? Paste some urls here and maybe we could judge.

Are they journal articles? (they should be), or did your tutor mean they are the wrong journal articles?

In first year (and beyond), it's often the case that most of the journal articles you should use will be in the course reading list, probably under the week which covers the topic your essay is about, or referenced in the lecture for that week (this might not be the case on some courses/disciplines though).

In general, a good source is...
- A journal article or published academic book.
- The first or most well-known instance of someone making that point / discovering that thing.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Would you give consent for uni's to contact your parent/trusted person in a mental health crisis?

Yes - my parent/carer (136)
33.66%
Yes - a trusted person (107)
26.49%
No (109)
26.98%
I'm not sure (52)
12.87%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise