_Robyn_
Badges: 14
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I'm a bit confused tbh. I've noticed that some degrees have a level requirements. But what if u haven't taken that a level. Is there a way around it? Like what is a foundation year?
University of Suffolk student
Badges: 8
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by _Robyn_)
I'm a bit confused tbh. I've noticed that some degrees have a level requirements. But what if u haven't taken that a level. Is there a way around it? Like what is a foundation year?
Hi _Robyn_

Most degrees will have a level requirement it's true- this will often be level 3 as in A levels or college courses. However, there can be ways around.

As you've mentioned, there's a foundation year. These are an extra year at the beginning of your studies that gets you up to speed with the required knowledge, practical skills and confidence to pursue the degree . These can be taken by people who perhaps lack the relevant qualifications or haven't studied in detail a particular topic that is required in depth to understand the course. Entry requirements for these can vary, so it's worth discussing/ researching these for the particular uni and course you're interested in, to check availability.

There are also college access courses you can take, that allow you to gain an additional qualification, and get you up to speed on the level required to enter university. I know a lot of mature students who entered my course in this way, but it's open to anybody willing to get to university

Perhaps worth contacting any chosen uni's as well, to see what they offer in terms of flexibility in entry requirements based on other qualifications and life experience you may possess!

Hope that helps, good luck with searching for universities

Ceri (3rd year WECS student at Suffolk)
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Would you give consent for uni's to contact your parent/trusted person in a mental health crisis?

Yes - my parent/carer (137)
33.74%
Yes - a trusted person (107)
26.35%
No (110)
27.09%
I'm not sure (52)
12.81%

Watched Threads