sciencelover37
Badges: 13
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Hello, I am very excited to be able to say that I have secured some work experience in a Small Animal Clinic for next week!! However I’m not really sure what I should do and how I should behave, so it would be great if anyone could give me some pointers!!!
glabib
Badges: 12
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by sciencelover37)
Hello, I am very excited to be able to say that I have secured some work experience in a Small Animal Clinic for next week!! However I’m not really sure what I should do and how I should behave, so it would be great if anyone could give me some pointers!!!
hey try posting here https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho....php?t=6497866
Vetgirl07
Badges: 8
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
That’s brilliant, congratulations!

You’ll most likely do a lot of observing in consultations and surgery so have a good breakfast and bring along a packed lunch to get you through the day. Ask lots of questions during surgeries or other procedures with vets, but wait until owners have left the consultation room before asking during consultations as this can seem a bit unprofessional and is distracting to the vet.

In terms of behaviour, there’s the usual stuff eg be polite, offer to help clear up, ask if there’s any jobs that you can do when you’re just standing around. Some clinics have rules on when you’re allowed to touch an animal so ask when you get there. When you’ve finished your placement, thank them, give them something like a box of chocolates and ask for a reference.

If at any point you feel faint during any procedures, tell the team so you can sit down for a bit or get some fresh air. It might feel a bit awkward, but vets and vet nurses will be understanding and it’s always less embarrassing to ask to sit down than to fall on the floor!

On your first day, you will almost certainly get a briefing from a member of the team going through the rules and showing you around so don’t feel pressured to know how to do everything perfectly.

Enjoy your work experience!
flamingolover
Badges: 20
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
Congratulations!!

The big thing is to just get stuck in. When I did work experience at a clinic I was too shy to ask much as I did it every Wednesday not in a whole block.

Make sure to ask to watch consultations if they don’t offer and maybe ask if you can observe surgeries!

Be polite and respectful especially to the nurses. You will learn so much about animal care from the nurses and they are super important in a clinic.

Have you asked them what they expect you to wear?

If you have finished your tasks/don’t have anything to do always ask. This shows initiative and shows that you are keen.

At the end of the placement ask for a reference. I didn’t do this for any of my placements so it was really frantic trying to get references from all my work experience placements as if done some of them like a year before so references are really important to get!
sciencelover37
Badges: 13
Rep:
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Thank you so much! Yes they have told me what to wear, but do you think I should wear trainers or smart black school shoes?
flamingolover
Badges: 20
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
Thank you so much! Yes they have told me what to wear, but do you think I should wear trainers or smart black school shoes?
Unless your trainers are smart/black I’d probably go from school shoes. My flatmate ended up getting a job at a vet practice after his work experience and he wears black smart shoes. You could always email to check for a preference
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What do you find most difficult about revising?

Prioritising what to revise (12)
10%
Remembering what was covered in lessons (2)
1.67%
Finding the time to revise (8)
6.67%
Finding the motivation (32)
26.67%
Getting distracted (16)
13.33%
Procrastination (49)
40.83%
Having the tools you need (0)
0%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (1)
0.83%

Watched Threads